Alternative Proof of Cauchy Sequence ##\left(S_n\right) = \frac{1}{n}##

In summary, the conversation discusses different proofs for the statement that ##(S_n) = \frac{1}{n}## is Cauchy. The regular proof uses the delta inequality, while the alternative proof uses the Archimedian property and the fact that any convergent sequence is Cauchy. The correctness of the alternative proof is also discussed.
Bachelier
I am looking for a different proof that ##(S_n) = \frac{1}{n}## is cauchy.

The regular proof goes like this (concisely):

##\left|\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{m} \right| \leqslant \left|\frac{m}{nm}\right| \ (etc...) \ <\epsilon ##

but I was thinking about an alternative proof. Is my proof correct:

let ##\epsilon > 0## by Archimedian property ##\exists N \ s.t. \frac{1}{N}<\epsilon##

This is equivalent to ##\frac{1}{N}<\frac{\epsilon}{2}## "may be ommited"

Now ##\forall n, m \geqslant N## we have by ##\Delta## ineq.

##\left|\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{m} \right| \leqslant \left|\frac{1}{n} \right| + \left|\frac{1}{m} \right|\leqslant \frac{1}{N}+\frac{1}{N} < ε##

What do you guys think? Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's perfectly ok.

Bachelier said:
This is equivalent to ##\frac{1}{N}<\frac{\epsilon}{2}## "may be ommited"
I'm not sure what this means, but the rest is fine.

Another way to prove it is to note that ##(s_n)## converges to ##0## (easy proof), and use the fact that any convergent sequence is Cauchy.

Proof: if ##(x_n)## is a sequence which converges to some number ##L##, then given ##\epsilon > 0##, there is some ##N## for which ##|x_n - L| < \epsilon / 2## for all ##n \geq N##. Therefore, if ##m \geq N## and ##n \geq N##, then ##|x_n - x_m| = |x_n - L + L - x_m| \leq |x_n - L| + |x_m - L| \leq \epsilon##.

jbunniii said:
I'm not sure what this means, but the rest is fine.

{This is equivalent to ##\frac{1}{N}<\frac{\epsilon}{2}## "may be ommited"}

Well since ε in this case can be so small, then we can use a larger N > 1/ε (actually twice larger) to end up with ε/2+ε/2 in the end instead of 2ε.

I appreciate your alternative proof of the Cauchy sequence ##(S_n) = \frac{1}{n}##. Your proof is correct and provides a clear and concise explanation of how the sequence meets the definition of a Cauchy sequence. Your use of the Archimedean property and the triangle inequality is a valid approach to proving that the sequence is Cauchy. It is always beneficial to have multiple proofs of a concept as it can deepen our understanding and provide different perspectives. Great job!

Related to Alternative Proof of Cauchy Sequence ##\left(S_n\right) = \frac{1}{n}##

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any small positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other.

2. How is the Cauchy sequence defined mathematically?

The formal definition of a Cauchy sequence is: Given any small positive number ε, there exists a natural number N such that for all indices m, n > N, the distance between the terms of the sequence, |sn - sm| < ε.

3. What is the alternative proof of the Cauchy sequence for the sequence {1/n}?

The alternative proof of the Cauchy sequence for the sequence {1/n} is based on the fact that the sequence is monotonically decreasing and bounded below by zero. This means that the sequence converges to a limit, which is zero in this case, and therefore satisfies the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

4. What are the applications of the Cauchy sequence in mathematics?

The Cauchy sequence is a fundamental concept in real analysis and is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and functional analysis. It is also used in physics and engineering to model continuous phenomena.

5. Are all convergent sequences Cauchy sequences?

No, not all convergent sequences are Cauchy sequences. A convergent sequence only needs to have a limit, whereas a Cauchy sequence needs to satisfy the specific definition of terms getting closer and closer together. However, in metric spaces, every convergent sequence is also a Cauchy sequence.