Am I overcomplicating a simple algebraic expression?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving an equation with squared unknowns in the denominator. The person is seeking guidance and realizing they may have overcomplicated things. Another person provides a hint and the first person is able to solve the equation using a common denominator.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I mean "equation", not "expression"..sorry.

I think I have issues with squared unknowns at the denominator. My big question is whether I STARTED OUT solving this equation correctly, or did I overcomplicate things perhaps?

Attached is the problem with my attempt.

I'll be happy for some guidance.

Attachments

• attemptequation.jpg
    attemptequation.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
Whoa you definitely overcomplicated things!

Hint: [tex](x+5)(x-5) = x^2 -25[/tex]

Fair enough, but what do I do with that 3x+15 denominator? I've tried a bunch of stuff but I keep getting entangled with it

Well that's just 3(x+5) right? So you can just let it be [tex]{{5/3} \over {(x+5)}}[/tex]

Ah...got the answer! actually used 3(x+5)(3-5) as common denominator. x = 8

:D Thanks aa bunch pengwuino!

Related to Am I overcomplicating a simple algebraic expression?

1. What is an algebraic expression?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How can I tell if I am overcomplicating an algebraic expression?

If you are using more variables, operations, or parentheses than necessary to solve the problem, you may be overcomplicating the expression. It is important to simplify the expression as much as possible to make it easier to solve and understand.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when simplifying algebraic expressions?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to apply the distributive property, not combining like terms, and making errors in the order of operations. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are correct when simplifying an expression.

4. How can I make a complex algebraic expression easier to understand?

One way to make a complex expression easier to understand is by breaking it down into smaller parts. You can also use visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to help visualize the problem and make it more relatable.

5. Is it okay to use different methods to simplify an algebraic expression?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to simplify an algebraic expression. However, it is important to follow mathematical rules and principles to ensure the final answer is correct. It is also important to show your work and explain your reasoning when solving a problem.