Analytical Geometry & Linear Algebra: "We" vs. "The Result

• Thread starter 0kelvin
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion revolves around the use of "we" in writing, particularly in academic and mathematical contexts. While some prefer to avoid using "we" and stick to more impersonal language, others see the use of "we" as a way to engage the reader or include them in the discussion. Ultimately, the decision to use "we" or not depends on personal preference and the intended audience.
0kelvin
I'm writing a site covering analytical geometry and basic linear algebra and came across this language issue.

Is there much a difference between "We proved that..." and "The result is..."? Sometimes I use "we", sometimes not.

Science news on Phys.org
0kelvin said:
I'm writing a site covering analytical geometry and basic linear algebra and came across this language issue.

Is there much a difference between "We proved that..." and "The result is..."? Sometimes I use "we", sometimes not.
Why bother with "we", which brings up the question of "who is WE", when you've got the perfectly good "the result is ..." ?

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
phinds said:
Why bother with "we", which brings up the question of "who is WE", when you've got the perfectly good "the result is ..." ?
Because overuse of the verb "to be" tends to make for dull reading.

Likes member 587159
Nothing is really wrong with an impersonal "One", who could be either the narrator, or any unknown person reading the written passage, or any person unnamed who could potentially be participating in what is being narrated.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
I prefer to avoid first person in scholarly writing. But when it is used, we always use it to refer to the co-authors. Some of my co-authors like it, and some publication venues tend to prefer the active rather than the passive voice.

A lot of academic contests and courses have shifted more strongly to preferring first person narratives and active voice in the last 30 years. It's not a big enough deal to twist arms over.

Likes UsableThought
I like the "we" to mean inclusively the author and the reader: "We see in figure 1..." "If we Taylor-expand the equation, we find..."

Likes cristo, martinbn, Fervent Freyja and 3 others
I actually prefer the active voice myself (*I" or "we"), but I can't help thinking of this:

f10a96114007595af0991f845bde7782.jpg

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
The use of 'we' is absolutely usual in mathematical textbooks. For primary mathematical literature of course I do not know, and the question would apply not just to now, but for nearly 200 years of such publishing.

Publishing somewhat mathematical arguments in biochemistry journals I used to run up against referees who seem not to have read much maths. One of them once asked me whether the 'we' in my argument was 'the Royal we?' :rolleyes:

One of my English teachers taught us about the editorial "we." She said writers use "we" sometimes in order to avoid the use of "I," because excessive use of the "I" word seems egotistical.

On the other hand, there is also the royal "we," as in Queen Victoria's famous "we are not amused."

I have often used "we" in lecturing in an attempt to draw the students into the discussion, to make them feel that they are participating in the development I am doing on the board.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and DrClaude
Dr.D said:
I have often used "we" in lecturing in an attempt to draw the students into the discussion, to make them feel that they are participating in the development I am doing on the board.
Yes, good idea but not relevant to the OP's situation.

phinds said:
Yes, good idea but not relevant to the OP's situation.
I fail to see a great distinction between writing a website and giving a lecture. In each case, we are trying to communicate information, and it is a relatively informal medium, not an archival journal.

Dr.D said:
I fail to see a great distinction between writing a website and giving a lecture. In each case, we are trying to communicate information, and it is a relatively informal medium, not an archival journal.
I think that when you are giving a lecture, it's very clear that "we" means you and the audience. Not so clear to people reading a web site. It could easily be interpreted then as "we, the authorities".

You win!

A man has to do what a man has to do and we all know it.

Related to Analytical Geometry & Linear Algebra: "We" vs. "The Result

1. What is the difference between "we" and "the result" in analytical geometry and linear algebra?

In analytical geometry and linear algebra, "we" typically refers to the person or people solving the problem or performing the calculations. "The result" refers to the final solution or answer obtained from those calculations. Essentially, "we" represents the process, while "the result" represents the outcome.

2. Why is it important to distinguish between "we" and "the result" in analytical geometry and linear algebra?

Distinguishing between "we" and "the result" is important because it helps to clarify the roles and responsibilities in problem solving. "We" may make mistakes or encounter challenges during the process, but "the result" is the ultimate goal and should be accurate and reliable.

3. How can "we" impact "the result" in analytical geometry and linear algebra?

"We" can impact "the result" in several ways. The accuracy and precision of our calculations, the methods and techniques we use, and our understanding of the concepts and principles all play a role in the final outcome. Additionally, "we" may make mistakes or overlook important details that can affect "the result."

4. What steps can "we" take to ensure the accuracy of "the result" in analytical geometry and linear algebra?

To ensure the accuracy of "the result," "we" should double-check our calculations, use multiple methods to solve the problem, and carefully consider all relevant information. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and principles involved in analytical geometry and linear algebra.

5. How can "we" use "the result" in analytical geometry and linear algebra to solve real-world problems?

"The result" obtained from analytical geometry and linear algebra can be applied to solve various real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. By using the principles and techniques learned in these subjects, "we" can analyze and solve complex problems, making use of "the result" to find practical solutions.