Analyzing a Truss with Excel: Solving the Matrix Problem

In summary, the conversation is about using excel to analyze a simple truss. The problem is that the matrix used is not singular and when inputting external forces, it results in errors. The instructor provided a spreadsheet with a formula for summation of components, but it is unclear how to include external forces in the table. Possible solutions include manually calculating and adding reaction components to the matrix, or adding additional members to represent reaction forces. Overall, there are still unanswered questions about the process and further clarification is needed.
sandbanana

Homework Statement

I have a simple truss to analyze using excel. I have done this and know how to do it on pen and paper using one equation to eliminate variables in another until down the line an answer pops out and I go back in and solve for all the other variables.

However, this time we have to use excel and it involves creating a matrix of the forces and computing its inverse. But the matrix I have as of now is not singular as the 3 columns for the support forces are all at zero. When I input the forces from the external analysis I get a bunch of #####. My instructor gave us the spreadsheet to use and this is the only section which we has any forumla put in so I do not want to mess with it. The formula he put in is a summation of the components in x and y for each member at each joint. They should add up to zero, and they do. THe problem is when I get to the external forces as I am unclear how to include them in this table.

I tried to insert a table showing the numbers but it just comes up as the code I put it in. So I attached it as a text file. Hopefully it works.

Hmm, I am sure I have left a lot of unanswered questions about what exactly I am trying to do. Please let me know how I can help to make this more understandable.

Attachments

• proj1_truss.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
Either you must include the reaction components in the set of applied loads by calculating them by hand and inserting them in matrix B, or you could include 3 additional members representing the reaction components at A and at E. The working you give doesn't seem to 'know' where the reaction forces are, as an input, although it is looking for an output.

Related to Analyzing a Truss with Excel: Solving the Matrix Problem

1. What is a truss and why is it important to analyze it?

A truss is a structural framework composed of interconnected triangles. It is important to analyze a truss because it helps engineers and architects understand how the structure will behave under different loads and forces, ensuring its safety and stability.

2. How can Excel be used to analyze a truss?

Excel can be used to analyze a truss by creating a matrix representation of the truss structure and applying basic structural analysis equations to solve for the unknown forces and displacements.

3. What is the matrix problem in truss analysis?

The matrix problem in truss analysis refers to the process of setting up and solving a system of equations represented in matrix form to determine the forces and displacements in a truss structure.

4. Can Excel automatically solve the matrix problem for a truss?

No, Excel cannot automatically solve the matrix problem for a truss. The user must input the necessary equations and values and use Excel's built-in functions to solve the system of equations.

5. What are the benefits of using Excel for truss analysis?

Using Excel for truss analysis allows for a quicker and more efficient solution to the matrix problem. It also allows for easy manipulation of input values and provides a visual representation of the truss structure through graphs and charts.