Analyzing an Athlete's Performance Using a Force Platform

In summary, the 65kg athlete jumps from a height of 0.600m and receives an impulse of 9200 N/s - 11500 N/s^2 when she reaches the platform. With what speed did she reach it, and with what speed did she leave it? She jumped to a height of 11.62m.
Zero Gravity
Good day, I have a homework problem I'd like help with. I got into getting the impulse (not sure if correct, though), but don't really know how to get the rest of the things. Any tips on what direction I should be going are appreciated.

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, 65kg athlete jumps down onto a platform that is .600m high. While the athlete is on contact with the platform during the time interval [tex]0 < t < 0.800 s[/tex], the force exerted is discribed by the function [tex]F = (9200 N/s)t - (11500 N/s^2)t^2[/tex].

[tex]m = 65 kg[/tex]
[tex]h_p = .600 m[/tex](platform)
[tex]V_0 = ?[/tex] (Is this supposed to be 0? She starts from rest but jumps up and then goes down to the platform)
[tex]V_f = ?[/tex]
[tex]h_m = ?[/tex](max)

(a)What impulse did the athlete receive from the platform?

(b)With what speed did she reach the platform?

(c)With what speed did she leave it?

(d)To what height did she jump upon leaving the platform?

Homework Equations

[tex]F = (9200 N/s)t - (11500 N/s^2)t^2[/tex]

[tex]\vec{I} \equiv \int_t^t \Sigma \vec{F}dt[/tex](top t is final, bottom initial...)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)What impulse did the athlete receive from the platform?

I punched in [tex]F = (9200 N/s)t - (11500 N/s^2)t^2[/tex] values into [tex]\vec{I} \equiv \int_t^t \Sigma \vec{F}dt[/tex]

[tex]\vec{I} \equiv \int_0^.8 (9200 N/s)(t) - (11500 N/s^2)(t^2) [/tex]

[tex]\equiv \int (4600 N) (.8 s)^2 - (3833.33 N) (.8 s)^3 [/tex]

[tex]\equiv (2944 N/s) - (1962.5 N/s)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{I} \equiv 981.5 N/s [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work for (a) looks good.
The question isn't entirely clear, but it must mean she comes to a stop at the end of that 0.8 s interval. If so, you can use impulse = m*Δv to do (b).

Delphi51 said:
Your work for (a) looks good.
The question isn't entirely clear, but it must mean she comes to a stop at the end of that 0.8 s interval. If so, you can use impulse = m*Δv to do (b).

Using [tex]I = m*\Delta v[/tex]

I get [tex]\Delta V = 15.1 m/s[/tex]

[tex]\frac {I}{m} = \Delta v[/tex]

[tex]\frac {981.5 N/s}{65 kg} \equiv \Delta v[/tex]

[tex]\Delta v \equiv 15.1 m/s[/tex]

So Delta V would be the landing speed since when she starts falling down the velocity would be 0. Or would [tex]\Delta v = 15.1 m/s[/tex] be the difference in velocity of when she lands and when she jumps(which means it would count the time she ascends as well)?[tex]V_f^2 = V_i^2 +2a(Y_f-Y_i)[/tex]
vf ^2= vi^2 +2a (yf-yi)
15.1^2 = 0 + 19.62 (yi)
228.01/19.62=y
y=11.62m

Falling from a distance of 11m is kinda impossible isn't it? So 15.1m/s is the difference from when she jump... right?

Last edited:
There is no mention of a jump in the question.
If she does jump, how do we know what part of the impulse stops the fall and what part makes the jump? Maybe you should write out the whole question - perhaps we are missing some more information.

Delphi51 said:
There is no mention of a jump in the question.
If she does jump, how do we know what part of the impulse stops the fall and what part makes the jump? Maybe you should write out the whole question - perhaps we are missing some more information.
A force platform is a tool used to analyze the performance of athletes by measuring the vertical force that the athlete exerts on the ground as a function of time.Starting from rest, a 65kg athlete jumps down onto the platform from a height of 0.600m. While she is in contact with the platform during the time interval 0 <t <.800 s, the force she exerts on it is described by the function
F = (9200 N/s)t - (11500 N/s^2)t^2

a)What impulse did the athlete receive from the platform?
b)With what speed did she reach the platform?
c)With what speed did she leave it?
d)To what height did she jump upon leaving the platform?

Is what's on the book. I too, find it not to make much sense. :(

Related to Analyzing an Athlete's Performance Using a Force Platform

What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied.

How is impulse related to speed?

Impulse is directly related to speed. In order to increase the speed of an object, a greater impulse must be applied to it.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both speed and direction.

How does height affect an object's speed?

Height does not directly affect an object's speed. However, if an object is dropped from a height, it will gain speed due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground. The higher the initial height, the greater the speed gained.

What is the relationship between height, speed, and potential energy?

Height, speed, and potential energy are all related through the law of conservation of energy. As an object falls from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in an increase in speed. The higher the initial height, the greater the potential energy and therefore the greater the speed gained.