Angular momentum of bicycle wheel

In summary, the person sitting on a rotating stool flips a wheel, causing it to change direction from counterclockwise to clockwise. The angular speed of the person and stool is calculated to be -1.88 rad/s. The work done by the person on flipping the wheel is 0 J, but the stool and person gain energy from the flip. The energy of the rotating man and stool needs to be calculated to determine the total work done.
taxidriverhk

Homework Statement

Assume there is a person sitting on a stool that is free to rotate, the person holds a wheel in which its center of mass is directly above the center of mass of the person plus the stool, then the person rotates the wheel counterclockwise at 6π rad/s. Suddenly, the person flips the wheel over and the angular speed of the wheel changes to 6π rad/s, but in clockwise direction. Given that the moment of inertia of the wheel is 0.6 kgm2, and that of the person plus the stool is 12 kgm2

a. Find the angular speed of the person plus the stool when the person flips the wheel over.

b. How much work is done by the person on flipping the wheel?

Homework Equations

Li = Lf
Iiωi = Ifωf

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
Moment of inertia of the person plus the stool
= Is+p = 12 kgm2
Iw = 0.6 kgm2
ω0 = -6π rad/s, ωf = 6π rad/s

Li = Lf
(Iw)(ω0) = (Iw)(ωf) + (Is+p)(ωs+p)
(0.6)(-6π) = (0.6)(6π) + (12)(ωs+p)
ωs+p = -1.88 rad/s

b.
W = (1/2)(I)(ωf)2 - (1/2)(I)(ωi)2
= (1/2)(12)(6π)2 - (1/2)(12)(-6π)2
= 0 J ?

I got these two answers above, but I think they will be most likely wrong
Please give me a correct solution, thank you very much
I may have written the question unclearly, if you have anything unclear, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part a I think the wheel and person will be rotating in opposite directions form your math it looks like you have them going the same way?

For part b the energy of the wheel does not change but the stool and the person have gained energy. That energy came from the work done flipping the wheels rotation? What is the energy of the rotating man and stool?

Related to Angular momentum of bicycle wheel

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular Momentum refers to the measure of an object's rotational motion. It is a product of the object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its rotational motion.

2. How does the angular momentum of a bicycle wheel affect its stability?

The angular momentum of a bicycle wheel plays a crucial role in maintaining its stability. The faster the wheel is spinning, the greater its angular momentum, making it more resistant to changes in its direction. This is why a bicycle is easier to balance when it is moving compared to when it is stationary.

3. Can the angular momentum of a bicycle wheel be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a bicycle wheel can be changed by either altering its angular velocity or its moment of inertia. For example, if you increase the speed of the wheel, its angular momentum will also increase. Similarly, if you increase the mass of the wheel, its moment of inertia will increase, resulting in a higher angular momentum.

4. What factors can affect the angular momentum of a bicycle wheel?

The angular momentum of a bicycle wheel can be affected by its speed, mass, and distribution of mass. A larger wheel with more mass and a higher angular velocity will have a greater angular momentum compared to a smaller wheel with less mass and a lower angular velocity.

5. How is the concept of angular momentum applied in real-life situations?

The concept of angular momentum is applied in various real-life situations, such as in the design of vehicles, gyroscopes, and sports equipment like bicycles and spinning tops. It is also used in space exploration to control the orientation of satellites and spacecraft.