Angular velocity of bicycle wheel

In summary: Apologies.In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity of a bicycle's wheels with a given velocity and diameter. Using the formula ω = v/r, the answer is 39.4 s-1 or 6.27 radians per second. This corresponds to none of the given choices in the multiple choice question. It is possible that the grading machine made an error.
Nelson2436

Homework Statement

A bicycle rider is moving with a velocity of 13.0 m/s. What is the angular velocity of his wheels if they have a diameter of 0.660m? Assume the wheels are rolling without slipping.

a) 39.4 m/s
b) 19.7 m/s
c) 39.4 s-1
d) 4.29 s-1
e) none of the above

Homework Equations

v = ω r

The Attempt at a Solution

ω = v/r
ω = (13m/s) / (0.330m) = 39.4 s-1
This problem was given on a test, I put "c" and got it wrong. It seems very straightforward and I'm not sure where I went wrong. Is there a mistake in my work? I am thinking it was most likely a mistake with the grading machine but I just wanted someone to confirm before I talked to the teacher. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct to me.

Likes Nelson2436
Yes, your answer is definitely correct. Note that you almost don't need the question. Just looking at the choice of answers, and assuming each wrong answer corresponds to a single likely error, (c) stands out as the common theme.

Likes Nelson2436
It's a units issue. The 39.4 technically has units of 'revolutions per second'. Divide by 2pi to get your answer in 'radians per second', which can be written as 1/second. This would make the correct result 6.27 radians per second, which matches up to 'e - none of the above'.

kboyer HCC said:
The 39.4 technically has units of 'revolutions per second'.
No, dividing tangential velocity by radius gives radians per second.
Anyway, this thread is three years old.

My mistake. I did a google search related to angular velocity of bikes and when this came up, I didn't look at the date stamp. The similar problems I was working on for my class included revolutions per second in their calculation and I jumped the gun.

Related to Angular velocity of bicycle wheel

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measurement of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is the rate of change of angular displacement over time and is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related but different concepts. While linear velocity measures the speed of an object in a straight line, angular velocity measures the speed of an object as it rotates around an axis. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. How is the angular velocity of a bicycle wheel calculated?

The angular velocity of a bicycle wheel can be calculated by dividing the linear velocity of the bicycle by the radius of the wheel. This can be represented by the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the wheel.

4. What factors affect the angular velocity of a bicycle wheel?

The angular velocity of a bicycle wheel can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the bicycle, the size of the wheel, and the force applied to the pedals. The weight and distribution of the rider on the bicycle can also impact the angular velocity.

5. How does the angular velocity of a bicycle wheel impact its stability?

The angular velocity of a bicycle wheel is directly related to its stability. A higher angular velocity will result in a more stable bicycle, as the rotation of the wheel helps to keep the bicycle upright. However, if the angular velocity is too low, the bicycle may become less stable and have a tendency to tip over.