ANN: quantum field theory course.

In summary: Group?In summary, the instructor of the online quantum field theory course says that the course will be available in October, but it is not string theory. The course is for those who want to learn quantum field theory, and it is not for those who are already familiar with the subject.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello All,

Hendrik van Hees just started a qft course. Here's his announcement:

We just started an online qft theory course, reading along Zee's
textbook. Soon, it will be provided as a an online course at the
supersymmetry web page:

http://www.superstringtheory.com/

Since the webmaster of the page is busy at the moment, it will appear
there sometimes in October.

Since we didn't want to loose to much time, we already started as a
Yahoo Group. That's not as good as on the superstring theory page, but
better than nothing:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qft/

In the file folder of this group you find also my own qft script (also
downloadable from my home page) and the first set of exercises (dealing
with one-particle non-relativistic qt of the harmonic oscillator.

If you are interested, you are heartily invited to join us!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would really not get involved in string theory right now. Try being neutral. It is a difficult field and has not earned much attention. I'm not sold yet on LQG, but, it has a lot more going for it at the moment.

Chronos said:
I would really not get involved in string theory right now. Try being neutral. It is a difficult field and has not earned much attention. I'm not sold yet on LQG, but, it has a lot more going for it at the moment.

It's not string theory, it's quantum field theory. It just happens to be at the superstringtheory site.

By the way, I'm in!

I just joined as well.. I'm in it more for the challenge of solving problems that I may or may not have done before, and seeing if I can do them cold turkey without too much help from the text...

But yea looks fun so far, at least until my vacation is up in a week or two.

Hi
Please start the Quantum mechanics 101 course.
I sent a mail to the instructor(as is given in the stringtheory site) but received no reply
Thanks in advance

Haelfix said:
I just joined as well.. I'm in it more for the challenge of solving problems that I may or may not have done before, and seeing if I can do them cold turkey without too much help from the text...

But yea looks fun so far, at least until my vacation is up in a week or two.

I also just joined in... Let's upgrade and refresh the old-QFT courses from university...

regards
marlon

poolwin2001 said:
Hi
Please start the Quantum mechanics 101 course.
I sent a mail to the instructor(as is given in the stringtheory site) but received no reply
Thanks in advance

Hi,

I was the instructor :-)
Sorry, I might have missed some messages concerning that course. I was not really planning right away to start this course again, because I wanted to concentrate on the QFT course given by Hendrik. But I will do it some time later.
Anyway, for the moment the superstringtheory site is a bit in a mess. I'd prefer Patricia (the webmaster there) to clean it up a bit, which she promised to do somewhere in october.

cheers,
Patrick.

vanesch said:
I was not really planning right away to start this course again, because I wanted to concentrate on the QFT course given by Hendrik.

However, I can add that if you want to read Sakurai and have questions (especially about the first 3 chapters, or the exercises, which was treated in QM101) you can always come here and ask about it. Also, I had set up a page with some extra material concerning that course, it is at:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.vanesch/NRQM_main_page.html

cheers,
Patrick.

Thanks vanesch

Thanks vanesch
I am off to learn some complex linear vector spaces and jump into the course
Thank you.

Chronos said:
Join the third party: Non Commutative Geometry

Related to ANN: quantum field theory course.

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the interactions between subatomic particles. It combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain how particles behave and interact with each other.

2. Why is quantum field theory important?

Quantum field theory is important because it provides a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It has been successful in predicting and explaining many experimental results, and is the basis for modern theories such as the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a quantum field theory course?

A quantum field theory course typically covers topics such as the basics of quantum mechanics, symmetries and conservation laws, quantization of fields, perturbation theory, Feynman diagrams, and applications to specific physical systems such as electrodynamics and the Standard Model.

4. Is quantum field theory difficult to learn?

Quantum field theory can be challenging to learn, as it requires a strong understanding of quantum mechanics, mathematics, and theoretical physics. However, with dedication and practice, it can be understood and applied effectively.

5. How is quantum field theory related to artificial neural networks?

Quantum field theory and artificial neural networks are not directly related. However, some researchers have explored the use of quantum computing and quantum field theory concepts to improve the performance and efficiency of neural networks, resulting in the field of quantum machine learning.