Another GPA, GRE and getting into a (physics) graduate program thread

In summary, the person has a low GPA of 2.9 in Physics from a no-name state university and is concerned about the impact it will have on their career goals of getting a research position and teaching at a university. They regret not staying an extra year to improve their GPA and are now worried that their time spent overseas is hindering their dream. They have a mix of grades in their academic record and have only been published once in their research. They have a small amount of savings and student loans. They are wondering if a high score on the physics GRE would make up for their low GPA, if they can work as a research assistant at their old university, or if they should pursue a BA in Mathematics and then apply for physics
bhimberg
I made the mistake of actually graduating. I had a low GPA at the time but was planning to go overseas anyways and didn't realize just how much such a low GPA would affect me. I now have a BS in Physics with a GPA of 2.9 in a no-name state university.

What are my options? My goal hasn't changed: I want to get a research position (be it at a university or in industry). I would like to teach at a university someday.

This is a major failing on my part it seems: I should have stayed an extra year to straighten out my GPA. I blame myself foremost, but I can't help but be a little angry at my academic advisor. Just last Friday I had a wakeup call and realized that all this time I am spending overseas (paying off student loans and teaching) is killing my dream.

Now my academic career looks much like a bell curve: I did horrible my first semester in, transferred to another school and did better. I managed to ace quantum the fall of my last year but received a D in thermal that spring. That D managed to keep me below 3.0. I just about aced all my math courses. The point is anyone who looks at my record will not see a 'recovery' or really any pattern that is easily explained.

I have done some research, but am only published (not first or second name) once.

I've read quite a few threads related to this topic in these forums. I'm trying to piece together what my options are though. I am going to finish up here some time around August. I'll be leaving with about 10k USD in savings and about 20k in student loans.

Will an excellent score on the physics GRE compensate for my low GPA?
Is it possible (and likely even) to go back to my old university and work, for money, as an RA? I figure improving my research experience could help however the reality is I can't afford to throw 1250 dollars a semester into it unless I absolutely have to.
Should I throw in the towel and go back to school for a BA in Mathematics? Could I then use that to apply for physics grad school?
I've pretty much determined that it is impossible to improve my GPA now that I have graduated. I haven't contacted the school, but the impression I get is that the deed is done. Is that true, generally speaking?

I've also read that it is possible to just start over with another school and get the same degree, but that if the school finds you have a previous degree then it is game over. Would a BA in physics be considered the same degree?

I know what I want now and, unlike in the past, I am very motivated to get it. I have already started studying for the physics GRE. My current plans are to study for the physics GRE until I am back in the states and then take it this Nov/Oct. While studying, and being in the states, pursue research through my university. Once I finish with the physics GRE I will start studying for the general GRE and take that in the Spring.

I will then apply to schools with a focus on the research I am interested in and keep my fingers crossed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice on how to increase my chances of success in this endeavor? Are there any other options I am missing? Should I consider a different degree such as mathematics or engineering? Is it possible to get a research job with a low GPA? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Another GPA, GRE and getting into a (physics) graduate program thread

1. What is a GPA and GRE?

A GPA (Grade Point Average) is a numerical representation of a student's academic performance in their undergraduate studies. It is calculated by averaging the grades received in all courses taken.
GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test that is required for admission into most graduate programs in the United States. It consists of verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing sections.

2. How important are GPA and GRE scores for getting into a physics graduate program?

GPA and GRE scores are important factors considered by admissions committees for graduate programs. However, they are not the only determining factors. Other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements also play a significant role in the admission process.

3. What is a competitive GPA and GRE score for a physics graduate program?

The competitive GPA and GRE score for a physics graduate program varies depending on the specific program and university. Generally, a GPA of 3.5 or above and a GRE score above the 80th percentile in each section are considered competitive. However, it is important to note that these scores are not the only criteria for admission and other factors are also taken into consideration.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting into a physics graduate program with a low GPA?

If you have a low GPA, you can still improve your chances of getting into a physics graduate program by highlighting other strengths in your application such as research experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. Taking additional coursework in relevant subjects and performing well in them can also demonstrate your academic capability.

5. Is it necessary to have a physics undergraduate degree to get into a physics graduate program?

While it is not necessary to have an undergraduate degree in physics to get into a physics graduate program, it is beneficial to have a strong background in physics and related subjects. Some graduate programs may require certain pre-requisite courses, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in. Having a strong foundation in physics will also better prepare you for the rigorous coursework in a physics graduate program.