Another question on Bernoulli's principle

In summary, the main question being addressed is how the pressure inside the water pipe is affected by the area of the opening being reduced by half due to a thumb blocking the flow. This can be answered by using the Bernoulli's equation and comparing the pressures on either side of the opening.
PhysicsDaoist

Homework Statement

I have read this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3185555&posted=1"

I am still a bit confused. So I am putting this quantitatively with a slightly different scenario.
Assuming water coming out of water pipe with Area A1 with a water flow rate of J where J=A1V1.
What happen if my thumb blocks 1/2 the area? That is, A2=0.5A1
What is my pressure inside the pipe in terms of J, A1 and A2?
How are the inside pressure different in the 2 cases (with thumb) and not with thumb restricting water flow?

Homework Equations

Assume no gravitational potential difference, I am ignoring the rho*g*h term.
P1+1/2*rho*v12 = P2+1/2*rho*v22
J=A1V1=A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

With thumb blocking 1/2 the area of the opening,
P2 = 1 atm

P1 = 1 + 1/2* rho * (v22 - v12)

Since J=A1V1=A2V2
V2 = J/(A2)
V1 = J/(A1)

P1 = 1 + 1/2* rho * J2 *(1/A22 - 1/A12)

For the case of no thumb, I got
P1 = P2 = 1 atm ??
It is because V1=V2

Now questions -
a) how do I show the jet pressure coming out from the 1/2 closed opening?
b) how do I compare the two?
c) I am aware that the kinetic energy is higher with the 1/2 closed case, but what about the total energy comparison?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to understand the concepts and equations being used in the scenario presented. It appears that the main question being asked is how the pressure inside the water pipe changes when the area of the opening is reduced by half due to a thumb blocking the flow.

To answer this, we can use the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid in motion is constant along a streamline. In this case, we can ignore the gravitational potential difference and focus on the kinetic energy and pressure terms.

With the thumb blocking half the area, the velocity of the water will increase in order to maintain the same flow rate. This means that the kinetic energy term (1/2 * rho * v^2) will increase, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This can be seen in the equation P1 + 1/2 * rho * v1^2 = P2 + 1/2 * rho * v2^2.

To compare the two cases, we can plug in the values for v1 and v2 and see the difference in pressure. Without the thumb blocking the flow, v1 and v2 will be equal, resulting in the same pressure on both sides of the opening. However, with the thumb blocking half the area, v2 will be greater than v1, resulting in a decrease in pressure on the thumb side of the opening.

To show the jet pressure coming out from the half-closed opening, we can use the equation P2 = 1 atm and plug in the values for v2 and A2. This will give us the pressure on the thumb side of the opening.

In terms of total energy comparison, we can see that the kinetic energy will be higher in the half-closed case due to the increased velocity. However, the total energy will still be constant as per the Bernoulli's equation.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts and equations involved in this scenario. It is important as a scientist to fully understand the principles behind a situation before attempting to solve it quantitatively.

Related to Another question on Bernoulli's principle

1. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to flight?

Bernoulli's principle is the underlying principle behind the lift force that allows airplanes to fly. As the speed of air increases over the curved surface of an airplane wing, the pressure decreases, creating a pressure difference that results in lift.

3. Can you give an example of Bernoulli's principle in everyday life?

One common example of Bernoulli's principle in everyday life is the flow of water through a garden hose. As the water speeds up as it exits the nozzle, the pressure decreases, allowing the water to travel a farther distance.

4. Is Bernoulli's principle always applicable?

Bernoulli's principle is a simplified model and does not always apply in real-world situations. It assumes ideal conditions, such as a non-viscous fluid and steady flow.

5. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to the conservation of energy?

Bernoulli's principle is a manifestation of the conservation of energy. As the speed of a fluid increases, its kinetic energy increases, while its pressure energy decreases. The total energy remains constant.