Another Question Regarding Finite Dimensional Division Algebras - Bresar Lemma 1.1

In summary, the proof of Lemma 1.1 in Chapter 1 of Bresar's book shows that the polynomial f(\omega) can be factored into linear and quadratic factors in \mathbb{R}[\omega]. This is due to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Additionally, the fact that D is a division algebra means that one of the factors must be equal to 0 in order for the product to be equal to 0.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with another aspect of the proof of Lemma 1.1 ... ...

Lemma 1.1 reads as follows:View attachment 6195
My questions regarding Bresar's proof above are as follows:Question 1

In the above text from Bresar, in the proof of Lemma 1.1 we read the following:

"... ... As we know, \(\displaystyle f( \omega )\) splits into linear and quadratic factors in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} [ \omega ]\) ... ..."

My question is ... how exactly do we know that \(\displaystyle f( \omega )\) splits into linear and quadratic factors in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R} [ \omega ]\) ... can someone please explain this fact ... ...
Question 2

In the above text from Bresar, in the proof of Lemma 1.1 we read the following:

" ... ... Since \(\displaystyle f(x) = 0\) we have

\(\displaystyle ( x - \alpha_1 ) \ ... \ ... \ ( x - \alpha_r )( x^2 + \lambda_1 x + \mu_1 ) \ ... \ ... \ ( x^2 + \lambda_s x + \mu_s ) = 0 \)As \(\displaystyle D\) is a division algebra, one of the factors must be \(\displaystyle 0\). ... ... "My question is ... why does \(\displaystyle D\) being a division algebra mean that one of the factors must be zero ...?
Help with questions 1 and 2 above will be appreciated .. ...

Peter
=====================================================

In order for readers of the above post to appreciate the context of the post I am providing pages 1-2 of Bresar ... as follows ...View attachment 6196
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6197

Physics news on Phys.org
f7b3e1d3a2c5e6d8-pdf.41328/Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your questions about Lemma 1.1 in Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra." As a fellow scientist, I am happy to assist you in understanding this proof.

Question 1:

The statement "As we know, f(\omega) splits into linear and quadratic factors in \mathbb{R}[\omega]" is referring to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. This theorem states that any non-constant polynomial with complex coefficients can be factored into linear and quadratic factors. Since the coefficients of f(\omega) are in \mathbb{R}, the factorization will also be in \mathbb{R}[\omega]. Therefore, we know that f(\omega) can be written as a product of linear and quadratic factors in \mathbb{R}[\omega].

Question 2:

The statement "Since f(x) = 0 we have (x - \alpha_1) ... (x - \alpha_r)(x^2 + \lambda_1x + \mu_1) ... (x^2 + \lambda_sx + \mu_s) = 0" is using the fact that if a polynomial f(x) has roots \alpha_1, ..., \alpha_r, then f(x) can be factored into (x - \alpha_1) ... (x - \alpha_r). In this case, since f(x) = 0, we know that the polynomial on the left-hand side has roots \alpha_1, ..., \alpha_r.

Now, since D is a division algebra, we know that every non-zero element has an inverse. This means that if we multiply any non-zero element in D by another non-zero element, the result will always be non-zero. Therefore, if none of the factors (x - \alpha_i) or (x^2 + \lambda_jx + \mu_j) are equal to 0, then the product will also be non-zero. This contradicts the fact that we know the left-hand side is equal to 0. Therefore, at least one of the factors must be equal to 0.

I hope this helps clarify your questions about the proof of Lemma 1.1. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate

Related to Another Question Regarding Finite Dimensional Division Algebras - Bresar Lemma 1.1

1. What is the Bresar Lemma 1.1?

The Bresar Lemma 1.1 is a mathematical theorem that states that every finite dimensional division algebra is either a field or a skew field.

2. How is the Bresar Lemma 1.1 relevant to division algebras?

The Bresar Lemma 1.1 is a fundamental result in the study of division algebras. It helps us understand the structure and properties of finite dimensional division algebras.

3. Can you explain the proof of Bresar Lemma 1.1?

The proof of Bresar Lemma 1.1 involves using the Wedderburn's theorem and the characteristic polynomial of a division algebra. It is a complex and technical proof that requires a strong understanding of algebraic structures.

4. What are some real-world applications of Bresar Lemma 1.1?

Bresar Lemma 1.1 has implications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the study of quantum mechanics, crystallography, and coding theory, among others.

5. Are there any exceptions to Bresar Lemma 1.1?

Yes, there are some exceptions to Bresar Lemma 1.1. The theorem only applies to finite dimensional division algebras, so it does not hold for infinite dimensional division algebras.