Apply Grad School: Nominated for JYA Programme at Cambridge

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is appropriate to include a nomination for a conditional scholarship offer on an application for graduate school or CV. The person giving advice suggests being truthful and carefully wording the nomination, taking into consideration the context and whether the scholarship was actually received. The person seeking advice mentions that they declined the offer due to limited capacity for visiting students and a possible defer for general education credits.
Josh1079
Hi,
I'm currently a final undergrad student and trying to apply for grad school. The thing is that on the application forms there is a section about "scholarships, prizes and distinctions" and last year I was nominated for the JYA programme at Cambridge by our university with a conditional scholarship offer. However, I wasn't able to actually go because of some reasons and hence didn't really get the scholarship.

So I'm wondering whether it is appropriate to add this on the list or on my CV?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on what those reasons were and whether you would be comfortable discussing them in an interview.
Selection for programs is a good thing. Not attending or declining could be seen in a negative light.

You can reference it, but you have to be careful about how you word things. You have to be truthful.

Being "nominated" for something can have different connotations depending on the context. If it only means that someone in your department endorsed your application, it's probably not worth mentioning. If an independent committee selects you as a finalist for an award in a competition, this probably is worth noting. If you were actually offered the scholarship, but declined for personal reasons, then certainly you should include it. Just make sure you include mention that you declined the award, and that you have some documentation of the offer.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The main reason for not going was because they told me that they don't have enough capacity for visiting students, and I'm also facing a possible defer (for some lame general education credits) if go for the programme. Does this seem to be okay?

Related to Apply Grad School: Nominated for JYA Programme at Cambridge

1. What is the JYA Programme at Cambridge?

The JYA (Junior Year Abroad) Programme at Cambridge is a study abroad program for undergraduate students from partner universities. It allows students to spend a full academic year at the University of Cambridge, taking courses in a variety of subjects.

2. How do I apply for the JYA Programme at Cambridge?

The application process for the JYA Programme at Cambridge differs depending on your home university. Generally, you will need to submit an application through your university's study abroad office and also complete an application through the University of Cambridge's Study Abroad Office. It is important to follow the specific instructions provided by your home university and the University of Cambridge to ensure a successful application.

3. What qualifications do I need to be nominated for the JYA Programme at Cambridge?

Qualifications for the JYA Programme at Cambridge vary depending on your home university. However, most universities require a minimum GPA and completion of specific coursework in your field of study. Additionally, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in the English language, as all courses at the University of Cambridge are taught in English.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the JYA Programme at Cambridge?

Participating in the JYA Programme at Cambridge allows you to experience a different academic and cultural environment, enhance your academic and personal skills, and expand your global network. You will also have the opportunity to study under world-renowned faculty and have access to resources and facilities at the University of Cambridge.

5. When will I know if I have been accepted into the JYA Programme at Cambridge?

The timeline for acceptance into the JYA Programme at Cambridge varies depending on your home university and the University of Cambridge. Generally, you will be notified of your acceptance in the spring semester before your intended year abroad. It is important to stay in communication with both your home university and the University of Cambridge throughout the application process for updates on your application status.