Approximate Values of Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy

In summary, the figure shows a potential energy curve for the interaction of two neutral atoms in a vibrational state. At r=r1, the approximate values of the kinetic energy K, potential energy U, and the total energy K+U are -0.4 eV, -1.2 eV, and -0.8 eV respectively. The mistake was converting the answer from J to eV.
Wakko

Homework Statement

https://s2.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/perl_author/MI3/CH7/IMAGES/MI3_7P32.png
The figure shows a potential energy curve for the interaction of two neutral atoms. The two-atom system is in a vibrational state (i.e., a total energy state) indicated by the heavy solid horizontal line.
At r=r1, what are the approximate values of the kinetic energy K, the potential U, and the quantity K+U?

Homework Equations

Vibrational State = K + U

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that U = -1.2 (dotted line)
And the Vibrational State (bold line) or K + U = -0.4
Which I'd assume means that K = 0.8 but this is incorrect. I've looked at this inside out and cannot figure out what's wrong.

Attachments

• physicsproblem1.png
    physicsproblem1.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 606
Physics news on Phys.org
Wakko said:
Which I'd assume means that K = 0.8 .
Looks right to me.

I see what my mistake was. I was putting my answer in J but they wanted it in eV.

Related to Approximate Values of Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is dependent on factors such as height, mass, and the strength of gravitational and/or elastic forces.

4. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated differently depending on the type of potential energy. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

5. How are kinetic and potential energy related?

Kinetic and potential energy are related through the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. Therefore, as an object's kinetic energy increases, its potential energy decreases and vice versa.