Are My CPU and Motherboard Temperatures Too High?

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary: If your case does in fact block the intake for the front fan, you may want to consider getting a better case. There are plenty of options out there, and you can check out the reviews to see what fits your needs best.
Dragonfall
I have an Athlon 64 2.0 ghz 3200+ and when I'm running some CPU intensive programs (games, prime95, etc) the CPU temperature goes as high as 60C and the mobo at around 50C. Is this normal, or should I consider water cooling? I have 1 fan at the back, and one on th side, both blowing air out of the case. I do have a third fan in front, but for some reason my case blocks the front fan intake, and I'll have to cut a hole if I want that fan to work completely.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thats about standard for that chip i think, you can cross check the temperature with the one in the manufacturers technical documents at AMD website, they have temp readings at various degrees of load and case ambients.

See the thermal Data LINKY

Make sure you have clear ventillation at fron n back.

With my PC, when the CPU overheats the bios will shut the PC down.

60C is fine.

60C is practically lukewarm. When it hits 125C, you should begin getting worried.

- Warren

My comp. temp.

what is a better program mbm or speedfan for temp monitering.
My computer runs at 60C (cpu) degrees about all the time is that normal. My case is around 46C degrees. Is the CPU and case temperates too high?

Dragonfall,

The temperatures sound okay. Isn't the whole point of Prime95 to raise your system temperature as high as it will go? What kind of heatsink and fan do you have on your CPU?

vpatel91 said:
what is a better program mbm or speedfan for temp monitering.
My computer runs at 60C (cpu) degrees about all the time is that normal. My case is around 46C degrees. Is the CPU and case temperates too high?

60C is high for a computer at idle. Mine usually idles in the 40's. Some chips, such as the Intel Pentium with the Prescott core can and will run a little hotter. 10C hotter if I'm recalling correctly.

60C is higher than I would prefer, but it isn't really too bad. I have an Athlon 2500+, overclocked to run as fast as yours, and I don't see above about 55. Several things to check if you are so inclined:

-Make sure there is an air path through the case. Ie, if the fans blowing in are down low but there is no path for air to exit high, then you'll end up with a pocket of hot air at the top of your case. A push-pull, with air entering low and leaving high is ideal. Because both your CPU and fsb are a little higher than typical, case temp (or room temp...?) is what I'd check first.

-Do you have a decent CPU fan? Do you have heat transfer goo (but not too much) between it and the cpu?

-Are you overclocking?

-Are your voltages set right(if you haven't played with them, probably yes)?

More info on cpu temps, including recommended operating temperatures: http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

Several things worth noting:
-On enthusiast sites, people tend to brag about temperatures even though they mean very little (at least, at the temperatures people brag about).
-The temperature reported by your cpu/motherboard may not be accurate due to sensor locations. Actual operating temperatures are likely much higher. ie:
The temperatures specified for AMD CPUs max case surface temperatures. These CPUs do not have an internal diode to measure CPU temperature. The accuracy of the CPU temperature measurement depends on the motherboard; therefore, it is possible that the CPU overheats even though the CPU temperature reported by the motherboard is below the specified maximal temperature.
That's why I like to keep my temperatures lower. Also, if you are running hot, chances are you'll start getting errors long before you actually start to damage your cpu. So if you are running stable, you're probably fine.

Yeah -- I thought the point of keeping a chip cooler is there is less need for error correction. Don't you gain a little speed with a cool chip?

A chip that's too hot will begin having timing errors, where data arrives too early or too late to various devices inside the chip. There is generally no way to "fix" these errors, and they pretty much mean your computer will crash.

Different kinds of timing errors can be alleviated with different temperatures. There actually isn't any kind of rule of thumb about which is better -- hot or cold -- instead, any chip will begin to malfunction outside its intended temperature range, either when too hot or when too cold.

- Warren

It sounds like the air in your case is heating up. If you get the hot air exhausting, the ambient case-temp will stay low which will mean lower temperatures.

If your case does in fact block the intake for the front fan you may very well have to make some sort of opening so air can properly circulate.

wxrocks said:
Yeah -- I thought the point of keeping a chip cooler is there is less need for error correction. Don't you gain a little speed with a cool chip?
You may be able to run your chip faster if it is cooler, but it won't perform faster on its own just by cooling it down.

j777 said:
If your case does in fact block the intake for the front fan you may very well have to make some sort of opening so air can properly circulate.
I had a case with poor circulation and I cut a hole in the top and attached an exhaust fan to it. It made a big difference.

Related to Are My CPU and Motherboard Temperatures Too High?

1. What is a normal temperature range for my CPU and motherboard?

The normal temperature range for a CPU is typically between 30-45 degrees Celsius, while the motherboard temperature can range from 30-50 degrees Celsius. However, this can vary depending on the specific model and brand of your CPU and motherboard, as well as your computer's usage and environment.

2. How can I check my CPU and motherboard temperature?

There are a few ways to check your CPU and motherboard temperature. You can use a monitoring software such as Core Temp or HWMonitor, or check the BIOS settings. Some motherboards also have built-in temperature sensors and displays. It's important to regularly check the temperature to ensure your computer is not overheating.

3. What factors can affect my CPU and motherboard temperature?

The temperature of your CPU and motherboard can be affected by various factors such as the type of CPU cooler being used, the number and type of processes running, the ambient temperature of the room, and the overall airflow within the computer case. Overclocking or using high-performance settings can also increase the temperature.

4. Is it normal for my CPU and motherboard temperature to increase during heavy usage?

Yes, it is normal for the temperature of your CPU and motherboard to increase during heavy usage, such as gaming or running multiple programs at once. However, if the temperature reaches above 80 degrees Celsius, it may be a cause for concern and you should consider adjusting your computer's cooling system.

5. What should I do if my CPU and motherboard temperature is too high?

If your CPU and motherboard temperature is consistently above 80 degrees Celsius, you may need to adjust your computer's cooling system. This can include adding more fans, upgrading to a better CPU cooler, or reapplying thermal paste. It's also important to regularly clean your computer's components to prevent dust build-up, which can affect temperature. If the temperature continues to be a problem, it may be a sign of a faulty component and you should consult a professional for further assistance.