Arithmetic progression sum and nth term

In summary: You also know sb is the sum of a different AP, so it must be a different quadratic function of n. For the two functions to be equal, they must be identical.how to use that in the question?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of sums of two arithmetic progressions for n terms each, represented by sa and sb. Two methods are provided, one using the regular formula and the other using the sum formula. It is noted that the common factor between sa and sb can be any function of n, leading to the need for the two methods to be identical for the answer to be correct.
Suraj M
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The ratio of sums of 2 AP for n terms each is ## \frac{3n + 8}{7n + 15}##
that is
$$ {\frac{s_a}{s_b}} = \frac{3n + 8}{7n + 15} $$
find the ratio of their 12th terms.
$$ Required= \frac{a₁_a+(n-1)d_a}{a_b + (n-1)d_b}$$

Homework Equations

Tn = a + (n-1)d

The Attempt at a Solution

OKay the regular way that gives the right answer is this..
$$ {\frac{2a_a + (n-1)d_a}{2a_b + (n-1)d_b} } = {\frac{3n + 8}{7n + 15}} ~~ eq1 ~~$$
$$required = \frac{a_a+11d_a}{a_b+11d_b} $$
so putting n = 23 in the eq 1 we get the answer as ## \frac{7}{16} ##
but i tried another method..
$${\frac{s_a}{s_b}} ={ \frac{3n + 8}{7n + 15}}$$
here we can say..
$$ s_a = (3n + 8)x $$
$$ s_b = (7n + 15)x $$
if i put n = 1 ,2 ,3 for both these AP's
for AP 1: using sa
s₁=a₁ right??
then a₁=11x
then s₂=14x so a₂ = s2 -s1 = 3x
then s3 =17x so a3 = s3-s2 = 3x
how is a2=a3 ??
similarly even for AP2
but why??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
deleted...

Last edited:
OK. Let AP1 be given as [itex] a_{n}[/itex] and AP2 be given as [itex] b_{n}[/itex] Then the sums are given as [itex]s_{a,n}=\frac{n(a_{1}+a_{n})}{2} [/itex] and [itex]s_{b,n}=\frac{n(b_{1}+b_{n})}{2} [/itex]. The ratio is therefore [itex]\frac{s_{b,n}}{s_{a,n}}=\frac{(b_{1}+b_{n})}{(a_{1}+a_{n})} [/itex]. Substitute the expression for [itex] a_{n}[/itex] and [itex] b_{n}[/itex]: [itex]\frac{s_{b,n}}{s_{a,n}}=\frac{(b_{1}+b_{1}(n-1)e)}{(a_{1}+a_{1}(n-1)d)}=\frac{3n+8}{7n+16}[/itex]. Solve for [itex] \frac{b_{1}}{a_{1}}[/itex] and insert...

No Svein, i know how to get the answer, my question is why am i getting the terms after the first term, equal by the method I've shown above?
Suraj M said:
here we can say..
s=(3n+8)x​
s₁ = (3n + 8)x
s=(7n+15)x​
s₂ = (7n + 15)x
if i put n = 1 ,2 ,3 for both these AP's
for AP 1:
s₁=a₁ right??
then a₁=11x
how is a2=a3 ??

I think you are confusing yourself with your notation. You say
s₁=a₁ right??
then a₁=11x
how is a2=a3 ??
Initially, you wrote that s1 and s2 were two different arithmetic progressions. Now you are using "s1" and "s2" to mean the first two partial sum of one arithmetic progression.

Ok fine, just notation mistake. check the original post, now ok?
let those s1 s2 s3 be fore the first AP only.
then a2=a3=... why?

Hello? anyone?

Suraj M said:
Ok fine, just notation mistake. check the original post, now ok?
let those s1 s2 s3 be fore the first AP only.
then a2=a3=... why?
You are assuming x is a constant, independent of n. It need not be. It is only necessary that it is the same function of n in nu numerator and denominator.

x is the common factor, it must be constant right?

Suraj M said:
x is the common factor, it must be constant right?
Why might it not be, say, n? I.e., sa = (3n+8)n, etc.

ohh, did not not think of that, sorry, but then the common factor may be any function of n. Is there no way of finding that common factor between sa and sb?

Suraj M said:
ohh, did not not think of that, sorry, but then the common factor may be any function of n. Is there no way of finding that common factor between sa and sb?
You know that sa is the sum of an AP, so it must be a quadratic function of n. You also know one of its factors.

Related to Arithmetic progression sum and nth term

What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers in which the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference.

What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic progression?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic progression is Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference.

How do you find the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic progression is an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

What is the difference between an arithmetic progression and a geometric progression?

An arithmetic progression has a constant difference between consecutive terms, while a geometric progression has a constant ratio between consecutive terms.

Can an arithmetic progression have a negative common difference?

Yes, an arithmetic progression can have a negative common difference. This means that each term in the sequence decreases by the same amount.