Article in "The physics teacher" "Only two forms of energy"

In summary: So it's okay to have a few simplifications in order to make the concepts more accessible.In summary, Potential and Kinetic energy are two types of energy that describe the ability of a system to cause changes in its own configuration. Teaching these simplifications is a way to make concepts more accessible to students.
ZeroGravity
Hi
I remember reading an article some years back (5?) on a description of energy categorized into either potential or kinetic energy.
I think it was an article in "The physics teacher" but can't find it...
Anyone remember it?
Martin

Science news on Phys.org
Is this article by Hecht it?

The Physics Teacher 45, 88 (2007).

Thanks for your reply...but no that is not the one...

Hi,
Thanks for the article details. I will read it today.

Just to get the conversation started on this interesting topic, this is what I believe so far:

Fundamentally, those are the two types of energy (kinetic and potential). All other energies can be relate to these two.
A system is an entity composed of many parts which can have relative motion to each other (i.e. hence kinetic energy of the system is the sum of the part's kinetic energy).
The potential energy of a system is energy due to configuration, i.e. the mutual, relative position of the various parts to each other. Energy is a scalar quantity that expresses the ability of a system to cause changes in its own configuration. Work, another concept, is the mechanism through which the system can change its energy or the energy of another system...
One object can be the system or multiple objects can represent the system. We can define the system to include whatever we decide. For instance, if the system is composed of two distinct macroscopic objects but each object is formed by many sub-components...

Any correction or comment?

Thanks,
fog37

fog37 said:
All other energies can be relate to these two.
I am not sure how the rest mass energy of an electron or the energy of a photon can fit this scheme.

kuruman said:
I am not sure how the rest mass energy of an electron or the energy of a photon can fit this scheme.
Well photon energy can reasonably be called "kinetic" because it is frame-dependent- so it has to do with "quantity of motion". Electron energy can sort of be call "potential energy" because it comes from a non-minimal configuration of the Higgs field. But yeah, it's not a very elegant way of looking at things.

I thought that Kinetic and Potential energy are the only two forms of mechanical energy. It is different from heat or light , for that matter any other forms of energy we know. Am I right? Your thoughts?

There are different approaches to categorizing and defining things. I try not to get dogmatic about the "right" and "wrong" approaches to these things.

Teaching overly simplified constructs is not really the best plan. When there are nuances and details that will become clear later as a student grows and matures and becomes exposed to the broader world of physics, I try and at least hint at it and communicate that the intro class is simplifying things that should not be taken as absolutes, but as useful definitions and categorizations.

In science, the question is almost never "Is it true?" but rather "Is it useful?"

Likes mechpeac and SEMA

Related to Article in "The physics teacher" "Only two forms of energy"

1. What are the two forms of energy mentioned in the article?

The two forms of energy mentioned in the article are kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How are kinetic energy and potential energy defined?

Kinetic energy is defined as the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition.

3. Can you give an example of kinetic energy?

An example of kinetic energy is a moving car. The car possesses kinetic energy due to its motion.

4. What is an example of potential energy?

An example of potential energy is a stretched rubber band. The rubber band has potential energy because of its stretched position.

5. How are kinetic energy and potential energy related?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are related because potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa. For example, a rollercoaster car at the top of a hill has potential energy due to its height, but as it goes down the hill, that potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.