Balancing Copper Reaction & Finding Products

In summary, the purpose of this chemistry lab was to prepare/synthesize Bis(2,4-pentanedionato) Copper (II), also known as Cu(C5H7O2)2, using CuSO4•5H2O as the copper source and NaHCO2 as the base. The reaction equation should be net ionic and balanced.
kinematica
The purpose of this chemistry lab was to prepare/synthesize Bis(2,4-pentanedionato) Copper (II), which is also known as Cu(C5H7O2)2

I was given the following format for a chemical equation in a lab that needs to be balanced:

Cu2+ (aq) + 2 base-n (aq) + 2 C5H8O2 (aq) → Cu(C5H7O2)2 (s) + 2 H(base)1-n (aq)

*The 2+ and n's are charges I'm assuming*

My copper source was CuSO4•5H2O
My base was NaHCO2

So I tried plugging in my sources for the equation and this is what I got (but I know it's wrong because the sulfur atoms are missing and I'm not sure how to balance it properly)...

CuSO4•5H2O (s) + 2 NaHCO2 (aq) + 2 C5H8O2 (aq) → Cu(C5H7O2)2 (s) + 2 H(NaHCO2) (aq)

Can someone please tell me how I determine where the sulfur is placed and help me balance this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reaction equation should be net ionic - so you don't have to care about sulfate.

Related to Balancing Copper Reaction & Finding Products

1. What is the purpose of balancing a copper reaction?

Balancing a copper reaction is important because it ensures that the number of each type of atom is equal on both sides of the chemical equation. This allows for the conservation of mass and charge, as well as the accurate prediction of the products formed.

2. How do you balance a copper reaction?

To balance a copper reaction, you must first write out the unbalanced equation. Then, starting with the most complex molecule, add coefficients to each side of the equation to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides. Finally, double check your coefficients to make sure the equation is balanced.

3. Why is it important to find the products of a copper reaction?

Finding the products of a copper reaction allows for the prediction of the chemical properties and behavior of the reactants. This information is important for understanding the overall reaction and its potential applications.

4. What factors can affect the products formed in a copper reaction?

The products formed in a copper reaction can be affected by a variety of factors, such as temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts. Additionally, the type and amount of reactants used can also impact the products formed.

5. How can you determine the products of a copper reaction?

The products of a copper reaction can be determined through various methods, such as conducting experiments and analyzing the reactants and products using techniques like spectroscopy. Additionally, knowledge of the reactants and their chemical properties can also aid in predicting the products formed.