Balancing Ethene Combustion Reaction (C2H4 + O2)

• Thread starter walker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the question asks for the complete combustion of ethene, C2H4. This involves reacting ethene with oxygen, resulting in the equation C2H4 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O. The question also requires balancing the equation, which can be done using both fractions and whole numbers. The final balanced equation is C2H4 + 3O2 --> 2CO2 + 2H2O.
walker
Hey,

I got a question here that asks for the complete combustion of ehtene, C2H4.

I assume this means the reaction of ethene with oxygen? Thus, the equation would look something like this:

C2H4 + O2 --> C02 + H2O

Yes?

But the question also asks me to balance the equation, if the reaction is correct then I'm having a little bit of trouble finding the proper balance for the equation.

The course I am taking allows you to use fractions to balance reactions (ie 1/2). Is it possible to use both fractions and whole numbers to balance?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The course I am taking allows you to use fractions to balance reactions (ie 1/2). Is it possible to use both fractions and whole numbers to balance?

Yes.

Jeez,

How silly of me... I overlooked the whole balacing thing...

Final answer I got is...

C2H4 + 3O2 --> 2CO2 + 2H2O

Related to Balancing Ethene Combustion Reaction (C2H4 + O2)

1. How do you balance the chemical equation for ethene combustion?

The balanced chemical equation for ethene combustion is C2H4 + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 2H2O. This means that for every one molecule of ethene, three molecules of oxygen are needed to produce two molecules of carbon dioxide and two molecules of water.

2. What is the purpose of balancing a chemical equation?

The purpose of balancing a chemical equation is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. This follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

3. Can the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation be changed?

Yes, the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation can be changed as long as they are changed proportionally. This means that if you multiply or divide one coefficient by a number, all other coefficients must also be multiplied or divided by the same number.

4. What is the stoichiometric ratio in the balanced equation for ethene combustion?

The stoichiometric ratio in the balanced equation for ethene combustion is 1:3 for C2H4 to O2. This means that for every one molecule of ethene, three molecules of oxygen are needed for a complete reaction.

5. What would happen if the equation for ethene combustion is not balanced?

If the equation for ethene combustion is not balanced, it would violate the law of conservation of mass. This means that the reaction would not accurately represent the amount of reactants and products involved, and it would not be a correct representation of the chemical reaction.