Balancing Forces: Solving a Physics Problem with Trigonometry

In summary, the conversation is about a biology teacher who needs to substitute teach a high school physics class and is seeking help with a physics problem involving a force board. They discuss the concept of balanced forces and using trigonometry to find the components of each force in the x and y directions. They also provide resources for future use. The biology teacher is grateful for the help and is working through the problem.
freerider78
Hi, I hope this type of question is against the rules here. But I have a slight emergency. I have to substitute teach a HS physics class tomorrow. I am a biology teacher, so this is out of my realm. I have to explain a couple problems and have no idea how to begin. I am figuring I need to sin and cos some angles, but the rest is unknown. Here's the question, if anyone can step me through the math of this, I will be forever grateful
A force board is set up in a physics lab and the three spring scales are hooked to the central ring and the notched perimeter of the table. The first scale reads 12.5 N at an angle of 0 degrees. The second scale reads 17.3 N at an angle of -34 degrees. If the three forces are balanced, what are the reading and angle of the third spring scale?

Physics news on Phys.org
This really isn't clear--could you describe a picture?
I mean, what is the "first scale" where are the others? what does -34 degrees mean?

Thanks for replying, but I'm sorry, that is all the info I have. I assume I would draw an x and y axis, with the 0 degree vector at the horizontal x and the 34 degree one below the x-axis. Like if it was a clock, it would be 3:20. Does this help?

okay, if they are balanced forces, then the sum of all forces is equal to zero. This means that if you add the force from the spring pulling horizontally to the force of the -34 degree spring IN THE X DIRECTION you should find the x- component of the other spring.
so...let me find my calculator...
here is the idea--the sum of all forces in the x direction is equal to zero and the same thing holds ture for y. So if you notice, if the angle of -34 degrees was changed to -15 degrees, you would expect the force in the x direction to be greater. you notice that as cos@ moves from -34 to -15 it also becomes greater, so you could use this logic to determine that the x-component of the force excerted by that spring is (17.3N)cos34.

now add that value to the 12.5 and you know how hard the other spring is pushing to the left.

now for the y direction you do the same thing, but you can completely ignore one of the springs. (17.5N)sin34=the force by the third spring upward.

the third spring pushes with two different forces in two perpendicular directions (up and to the left) so you can use a^2+b^2=c^2 to figure out the resultant force.

now use trig to find the angle--just draw it--tan@=opp/adj=Fy/Fx. So use tan^-1(Fy/Fx) to get the angle above the negative x-axis which should be subtracted from 180 to stay consistent. I hope that clears it up.

Ah! This is a typical net force = zero problem in x-y (Cartesian coordinates), i.e. statics.

Sum of forces in x-direction = 0, and
Sum of forces in y-direction = 0

For the first spring (12.5 N), it is entirely in the x-direction, and for the second spring (17.3 N), the component in the x-direction is given by 17.3 N cos (-34°).

The x-component of the third spring must be equal and opposite the sum of these two.

For the y-direction, the first spring has no component, while the second spring has component 17.3 N sin (-34°). The third spring must have a component of equal magnitude, but in the opposite (+y) direction.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#veccon

These may be of use in the future -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/exprob/exmec.html

Last edited:
Ja4Coltrane, thanks so much. I'm going to run through this and see if I comprehend it fully. It's still a little above my head, but the answer is right according to my calculations versus the answer sheet (give or take a few decimal places).

good!
yeah the trick is to see that every force in any direction can be thought of as two diferent forces in x and y directions.

Related to Balancing Forces: Solving a Physics Problem with Trigonometry

1. What is a force problem?

A force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the effects of forces on an object. Forces can include things like gravity, friction, and applied forces.

2. How do you solve a force problem?

To solve a force problem, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other relevant equations to calculate the net force and resulting acceleration of the object.

3. What is the role of a sub teacher in teaching force problems?

A sub teacher can help guide students through the process of solving force problems by providing instruction, answering questions, and providing practice problems for students to work on.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when solving force problems?

Some common mistakes students make when solving force problems include forgetting to consider all the forces acting on the object, using the wrong equations or values, and not setting up the problem correctly.

5. How can I improve my understanding of force problems?

To improve your understanding of force problems, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and to seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. It can also be helpful to review the fundamental principles and equations related to forces and motion.