Bare QFT theory with cutoff and multi-particle state....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the physical vacuum in quantum field theory and the role of cutoff and renormalization in its interpretation. It is noted that in the cutoff theory, the physical vacuum is a complicated multiparticle state, while in the renormalization procedure, it disappears and has no longer a physical interpretation. The conversation also touches upon the accuracy of the results obtained after removing the cutoff and the role of renormalization in getting rid of infinities. It is mentioned that the renormalized Hilbert space no longer has a notion of particles. Overall, the conversation highlights that the physical vacuum is an idealization and that renormalization plays a crucial role in making sense
asimov42
Hi all,

I was reading Arnold Neumaier's excellent article on the Vacuum Fluctuation Myth, and ran upon one part I have a question about: he notes that "in bare quantum field theory with a cutoff, the vacuum is a complicated multiparticle state depending on the cutoff – though in a way that it diverges when the cutoff is removed, so that nothing physical remains. "

I'm wondering a) why the introduction of a cutoff leads to a multiparticle state? I thought the ground state even in the bare theory was a state with zero particles, even with a cutoff, and b) since we don't observe this multiparticle state (do we?), is this evidence that there should not be a cutoff?

Thanks!

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/vacuum-fluctuation-myth/

Physics news on Phys.org
With cutoff one can work in a Fock space created in terms of bare particles, and with a well-defined normally ordered Hamiltonian that describes the interacting dynamics. The physical vacuum is then the ground state of this Hamiltonian. It contains zero physical particles, but expressed in terms of the particles of the bare theory, it is a very complicated multi-bare-particle state. The only state with zero bare particles is the bare vacuum state, but this is not even an eigenstate of the physical Hamiltonian.

Likes bhobba
Ah thanks Arnold - ok, so the observed state of the physical vacuum contains zero physical particles, but if one refers to particles of the bare theory, you have the complex multiparticle state. And the bare vacuum state is not a physical state (since not eigenstate of physical Hamiltonian)?

asimov42 said:
Ah thanks Arnold - ok, so the observed state of the physical vacuum contains zero physical particles, but if one refers to particles of the bare theory, you have the complex multiparticle state. And the bare vacuum state is not a physical state (since not eigenstate of physical Hamiltonian)?
The bare vacuum state is (in the cutoff theory) a very complex physical multiparticle state. In the renormalization procedure it disappears and has no longer a physical interpretation.

And if one does not apply the cutoff or renormalization, one is left with a divergent, non-physical result, then.

I guess my final query is when one should expect to see a physical vacuum with zero physical particles - either with an applied cutoff, or in the renormalized case?

asimov42 said:
And if one does not apply the cutoff or renormalization, one is left with a divergent, non-physical result, then.

I guess my final query is when one should expect to see a physical vacuum with zero physical particles - either with an applied cutoff, or in the renormalized case?
The only physically correct theory is the renormalized one, after having removed the cutoff. The physical vacuum is of course an idealization, as the real world is filled with lots of fields (not only stuff describable in terms of particles).

Likes vanhees71
A. Neumaier said:
The physical vacuum is of course an idealization, as the real world is filled with lots of fields (not only stuff describable in terms of particles).
Then I'd suggest not to call it physical.

RockyMarciano said:
Then I'd suggest not to call it physical.
If one is not allowed to make idealizations one cannot do physics until a theory of everything is available...

Many physical systems are idealizations. There is no isolated system, but systems are often treated as isolated.

A. Neumaier said:
If one is not allowed to make idealizations one cannot do physics until a theory of everything is available...

Many physical systems are idealizations. There is no isolated system, but systems are often treated as isolated.
Yes, all this doesn't change the fact that calling physical what is ideal could be more confusing than callint it ideal. Just a practical suggestion.

RockyMarciano said:
Yes, all this doesn't change the fact that calling physical what is ideal could be more confusing than calling it ideal. Just a practical suggestion.
One cannot change this. Physical means tractable in terms of a dynamical model based on physical principles.

One more question about renormalization: once the cutoff has been removed, if I want a more and more accurate answer, can I sum up to an arbitrary loop order?

Any takers?

asimov42 said:
One more question about renormalization: once the cutoff has been removed, if I want a more and more accurate answer, can I sum up to an arbitrary loop order?
The series is only asymptotic, so at first the accuracy improves but at some point it will get worse. For arbitrarily accurate answers you'll need to sum infinite families of terms, using for example the renormalization group. It is unknown whether this is enough.

Thanks Arnold! So the answers should still remain finite, with the cutoff removed, but of course it's not possible to sum infinite families of terms.

asimov42 said:
Thanks Arnold! So the answers should still remain finite, with the cutoff removed, but of course it's not possible to sum infinite families of terms.
Yes, the answers must be finite if the theory is well-defined. But summing infinitely many diagrams of a certain kind (ladder, or rainbow, etc.) is a common activity when evaluating series derived in terns of Feynman diagrams.

A. Neumaier said:
The bare vacuum state is (in the cutoff theory) a very complex physical multiparticle state. In the renormalization procedure it disappears and has no longer a physical interpretation.

@A. Neumaier (or others): the renormalization procedure must also cause the complicated bare-multiparticle-state to disappear, correct?

asimov42 said:
@A. Neumaier (or others): the renormalization procedure must also cause the complicated bare-multiparticle-state to disappear, correct?
Yes. The Hilbert space changes. The renormalized Hilbert space is no longer a Fock space, contains no number operator, and hence has no notion of particles. Particles (physical ones) appear instead asymptotically, in states that satisfy cluster separability.

Got it - thank you @A. Neumaier! So as with the bare vacuum state, the bare multiparticle state no longer has a physical interpretation (just so I'm clear). That is, through renormalization, one has taken an un-physical, divergent result with the cutoff removed, and 'gotten rid of the infinity.''...

Clearly, as a physical electron moves through the physical vacuum, it does not bump into a bunch of bare particles ... is it possible to describes more fully what renormalization does in this case? @A. Neumaier had mentioned that the divergence in the original Fock space occurs such that nothing physical remains. Does this carry over as the Hilbert space for the physical vacuum being 'empty' (save fields)?

Last edited:
asimov42 said:
through renormalization, one has taken an un-physical, divergent result with the cutoff removed, and 'gotten rid of the infinity.''...
Yes, renormalization removes the basic problems with the bare particles.
asimov42 said:
the Hilbert space for the physical vacuum being 'empty' (save fields)?
The Hilbert space contains all states, not only the vacuum state. Only the vacuum state corresponds to an empty universe.

Related to Bare QFT theory with cutoff and multi-particle state....

1. What is bare QFT theory with cutoff?

Bare QFT theory with cutoff is a theoretical framework in quantum field theory that introduces a finite cutoff, or maximum energy scale, to regulate the divergences that arise in calculations involving infinite energy. This allows for a more precise and well-defined treatment of particles and their interactions.

2. How does the cutoff affect multi-particle states?

The cutoff in bare QFT theory affects multi-particle states by limiting the maximum energy that can be contained in a state. This means that the number of allowed particles in a state is also limited, as the energy of each particle is directly related to its mass. As a result, the cutoff imposes a restriction on the number of particles that can be present in a given state, which can have significant implications for calculations and predictions.

3. What is the significance of the cutoff in QFT calculations?

The cutoff in bare QFT theory is significant as it allows for the removal of divergences in calculations, making them more accurate and reliable. Without a cutoff, the infinite energy values that arise in certain calculations can lead to nonsensical results. The cutoff also allows for the comparison of different theories and models, as it provides a common reference point for energy scales.

4. How does the concept of renormalization relate to bare QFT theory with cutoff?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used to remove infinities from calculations in quantum field theory. In bare QFT theory with cutoff, the cutoff is considered a form of renormalization as it effectively removes the infinities by limiting the energy values. However, this does not completely eliminate the need for further renormalization techniques in certain calculations.

5. Are there any experimental implications of bare QFT theory with cutoff?

Yes, there are potential experimental implications of bare QFT theory with cutoff. For example, the cutoff may lead to the prediction of new particles or interactions that cannot be observed at lower energy scales. Additionally, the cutoff may have an impact on measurements of particle properties, as it affects the allowed energy states and number of particles in a given state.