Basic calcs in excel for dc lap wound motor

In summary, a group is tasked with designing a lap wound dc motor with a maximum of 12 volts and 5 amps, using no more than two poles, and aiming for maximum efficiency. They have created an excel spreadsheet to calculate the necessary wire gauge, type of magnets, and number of turns per coil. The motor will be connected to a mini dyno to apply a set load. The efficiency is based on no load speed and full load torque. The group is using this as a basis for their calculations, focusing on the biggest factors. They have selected a wire gauge and magnet type and are unsure about the angle required for wrapping the motor. They want to ensure they are on the right track and not wasting their time.
el_diablo549

Homework Statement

My group and I have to design a lap wound dc motor. Maximum of 12 volts and 5 amps. Must have no more than two poles. The aim is to achieve maximum efficiency. I've created this excel spread sheet to calculate the gauge of wire we need and the type of magnets. Also how many turns per a coil we need and What voltage and amperage to set it to to achieve maximum efficiency. I understand the amperage is based of a load but the motor will be connected to a mini type of dyno to apply a set load.

Homework Equations

Too many to list I've tried to write the equation next to each cell or explain it how ever some have been changed and I've lost track of them. Also I understand that our efficiency is based off no load speed and full load torque which is two very different scenarios but we are just using it as a basis for our calcs.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize there is so much more to calculating the properties of a dc motor however This is a mechanical engineering course so we are just concentrating on the biggest factors so to speak. The current selection for wire gauge and magnet type is what my group has opted for we just want to make sure we are in the ball park figure for achieving a decent efficiency for our settings as we have a financial interest in this.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• ENB205 Motor Calcs-Surface.xlsx
    15.2 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Also we have noticed a lot of commercial motors are wrapped on angles, were not sure what or how to work out the angle required I assume it helps the motor initially turn which is one of our criteria that the motor turns without assistance at the start. Sorry if I've missed anything we are just really flustered at the last minute and want to make sure were not on totally wrong path and wasting our time. Thanks in advance

Related to Basic calcs in excel for dc lap wound motor

1. What is a DC lap wound motor?

A DC lap wound motor is a type of direct current motor that has a winding arrangement where the armature winding is connected in parallel with the field winding. This type of motor is commonly used in applications that require high starting torque, such as electric vehicles and industrial machinery.

2. How do I calculate the back EMF in a DC lap wound motor?

The back EMF in a DC lap wound motor can be calculated using the formula E = KNφω, where E is the back EMF, K is a constant, N is the number of turns in the armature winding, φ is the magnetic flux, and ω is the angular velocity of the motor.

3. What is the purpose of calculating armature resistance in a DC lap wound motor?

Calculating the armature resistance in a DC lap wound motor is important because it allows us to determine the amount of current flowing through the armature winding. This information is useful for determining the motor's performance and efficiency.

4. How do I calculate the torque produced by a DC lap wound motor?

The torque produced by a DC lap wound motor can be calculated using the formula T = KIaΦsinθ, where T is the torque, K is a constant, Ia is the armature current, Φ is the magnetic flux, and θ is the angle between the armature current and the magnetic field.

5. Can I use Excel to perform basic calculations for a DC lap wound motor?

Yes, Excel can be a useful tool for performing basic calculations for a DC lap wound motor. It has built-in functions and formulas that can help with calculations such as back EMF, armature resistance, and torque. There are also online tutorials and templates available that can guide you through the process.