Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality?

• Thread starter Skip Hawley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary: This is a more general form of the equation that includes all polynomials with integer coefficients.In summary, Beal's Conjecture is a conjecture in mathematics that states that if two positive integers, Ax, By, and Cz are all greater than 2, then they have a common prime factor. If this theorem is true, it would allow for the factorization of a number into simpler parts. Additionally, Beal's conjecture can be used to prove Fermat's Last Theorem by contradiction. I would be quite surprised if a proof of Beal's conjecture turned out to be easier than the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem.
Skip Hawley
What is the easiest way to explain the Beale Conjecture to someone who isn't math literate?

BEAL'S CONJECTURE: If Ax + By = Cz, where A, B, C, x, y and z are positive integers and x, y and z are all greater than 2, then A, B and C must have a common prime factor.

What exactly is Beale trying to extract or squeeze into his equation and what is it's practical application or outcome.If it could be proved,what is it's benefit to math or to anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Skip Hawley and welcome to the forums.

Basically in a nut-shell it means that you can simplify the equation and take a prime factor out of both sides. In other words:

Ax + By = Cz is equivalent to:

p(Dx + Ey) = p(Fz) for some integers D, E, and F where p is a prime number.

In other words, if this theorem is true you will be able to do this factorization.

The conjecture as you state it doesn't look right to me.

Take x=y=z=3, so you have: A+B=C, take for example A=1 and B=2, and C=3, so they don't have common prime factor, unless you include 1 as a prime number.

Edit: it should be raised to the power...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beal's_conjecture

If we assume that they don't have a common prime factor, which means that gcd(A,B,C)=1, then there exist integers w,v,u s.t: Aw+Bv+Cu=1, now I can plug this back to the equation, and check for some contradiction.

Has someone tried this already?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
If we assume that they don't have a common prime factor, which means that gcd(A,B,C)=1, then there exist integers w,v,u s.t: Aw+Bv+Cu=1, now I can plug this back to the equation, and check for some contradiction.

Has someone tried this already?

I'm not sure adding more variables into the mix is going to make things easier!

Furthermore, Beal's conjecture can be used to prove Fermat's Last Theorem by contradiction. I would be quite surprised if a proof of Beal's conjecture turned out to be easier than the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. =)

(As for counter-examples, it has been checked computationally that it holds for all variables up to 1000, so if a counter-example exists at least one of the numbers must be greater than 1000.)

Well, I recently heard that the proof of Wiles depends on non trivial axioms in set theory which involves large cardinals. And large cardinal are not that intuitive as peano axioms system. I mean the proof is proved in a stronger system, which means that there may be some obstacles to use the same proof in a system such as peano system, but I am just speculating here.

Skip Hawley said:
What is the easiest way to explain the Beale Conjecture to someone who isn't math literate?

BEAL'S CONJECTURE: If Ax + By = Cz, where A, B, C, x, y and z are positive integers and x, y and z are all greater than 2, then A, B and C must have a common prime factor.

What exactly is Beale trying to extract or squeeze into his equation and what is it's practical application or outcome.If it could be proved,what is it's benefit to math or to anything?
Mathematical Physicist has already pointed out that you have misstated the conjecture, but in hopes of avoiding further confusion, the equation should be [tex]A^x + B^y = C^z[/tex].

Related to Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality?

1. What is the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality?

The Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality is a mathematical problem proposed by Thomas Jefferson Beale in the 19th century. It involves a coded message that supposedly reveals the location of a hidden treasure worth millions of dollars.

2. Has the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality been solved?

No, the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality has not been officially solved. Many people have attempted to decipher the code, but to this day, the location of the treasure remains a mystery.

3. Can anyone solve the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality?

Technically, anyone with the right skills, knowledge, and resources could potentially solve the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality. However, it is an extremely difficult and complex mathematical problem, so it would require a great deal of dedication and expertise.

4. Why is the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality important?

The Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality is important because it challenges the capabilities of modern cryptography and code-breaking techniques. It also holds the promise of a hidden fortune, which has captured the imagination of many people over the years.

5. What are the potential implications if the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality is solved?

If the Beale Conjecture Reduced to Practicality is solved, it could have significant implications for the field of cryptography and code-breaking. It could also lead to the discovery of a hidden treasure, which would have both financial and historical value.