Beginner's question of opamp stability

In summary, the conversation is about verifying the stability of a circuit using open loop and closed loop gain and phase plots. The speaker wants to confirm that looking at the -3dB point of the closed loop gain is the only point needed to determine stability. They also mention that the phase margin can be calculated by subtracting the phase at this point from 180 degrees. The other person expresses difficulty in distinguishing between the curves and asks for a clearer picture. The speaker clarifies that for finding stability margins, the loop gain must be evaluated and that the closed-loop gain plot does not contain this information. They also mention that even unstable systems can have a normal looking closed-loop Bode plot.
yungman
I am embarrassed to ask this. I just want to make triple sure about this stability condition. In the attached plot, I have the open loop gain and phase plot in light green and closed loop gain and phase plot in dark blue. You can see the closed loop gain is 30dB which is about 22 or so.

I want to confirm when looking at stability, I look at -3dB of the closed loop gain ( blue) which is -27dB as vertical red line drawn labeled -3dB. You can see the phase at that point is about -70deg.

I want to verify: To look at stability, this is the only point I need to look at. This shows I have phase margin of 110deg( 180-70). So this circuit is stable given the open loop and closed loop gain phase plot. That I don't have to look at the 0dB crossover ( I circled "Don't care") at all.

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• Open loop and closed loop gain and phase.JPG
    Open loop and closed loop gain and phase.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 442
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have problems to distinguish between the curves; could you please post a more clear picture? Maybe change colors, at least.

yungman said:
I want to verify: To look at stability, this is the only point I need to look at. This shows I have phase margin of 110deg( 180-70).
Alan
Please note that for finding stability margins (phase and/or gain margin) you need to evaluate the LOOP GAIN (magnitude and phase plot) of a circuit with feedback.
Only for the special case of 100% feedback (feedback factor "1") loop gain is identical to the open-loop gain of the opamp.
The closed-loop gain plot contains no information on stability margins.
More than that - even unstable systems show a closed-loop Bode plots that looks quite "normal".

Related to Beginner's question of opamp stability

1. What is an opamp and why is stability important?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. Stability is important because it ensures that the opamp operates reliably and accurately without any unwanted oscillations or fluctuations.

2. How do I determine if an opamp is stable?

One way to determine opamp stability is by looking at its open-loop frequency response. If the gain decreases at high frequencies, the opamp is considered stable. Another method is to analyze the closed-loop transfer function and look for poles and zeros in the right-half plane, as these can cause instability.

3. What factors can affect opamp stability?

There are several factors that can affect opamp stability, including the circuit layout, power supply voltage, component tolerances, and external noise. These factors can cause changes in the opamp's gain and phase response, potentially leading to instability.

4. How can I improve opamp stability?

Some ways to improve opamp stability include using external compensation, such as adding a capacitor in parallel with the feedback resistor, or decreasing the opamp's gain. Proper circuit design and layout techniques can also help reduce the impact of external factors on stability.

5. What are the consequences of using an unstable opamp?

If an opamp is unstable, it can lead to unwanted oscillations, noise, or distortion in the output signal. This can affect the accuracy and reliability of the circuit, potentially causing malfunctions or failures. In extreme cases, it can even damage the opamp or other components in the circuit.