Best book for classical mechanics

In summary, for someone looking to learn Classical Mechanics at a university level, it is recommended to start with Kleppner's Mechanics (Newtonian) book if they have already completed introductory physics. For more advanced material, Taylor's Classical Mechanics covers topics such as coupled oscillators, non-linear motion, chaos, and Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics. Another option for those interested solely in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics is Calkin's "Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics", although it may be more suitable for students who have completed a second year mechanics course. Both Taylor and Calkin's books have a conversational tone, similar to Griffiths' electrodynamics text.
d.3vil
Guys can u suggest me some excellent books for Classical Mechanics?
Thank u in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, your question is a bit vague. What level of classical mechanics are you looking to learn?

WannabeNewton said:
Uh, your question is a bit vague. What level of classical mechanics are you looking to learn?
yeah.. sorry
I am looking for a book of university level... Can u suggest some?

d.3vil said:
yeah.. sorry
I am looking for a book of university level... Can u suggest some?
This is still vague to me. Do you mean first year mechanics?

Did you ever take a university course on physics before?

Start with Kleppnar Mechanics (Newtonian) book if you already done the Introductory Physics.

WannabeNewton said:
This is still vague to me. Do you mean first year mechanics?

I have done the introductory physics and i just want some advanced level... And i can't tell u more in detail...

Natassha said:
Start with Kleppnar Mechanics (Newtonian) book if you already done the Introductory Physics.
Thank you Natassha
I will try that...

micromass said:
Did you ever take a university course on physics before?
I have done my Engineering but didnt graduate in physics. So my answer is No.
Can u suggest some at that level?

d.3vil said:
I have done the introductory physics and i just want some advanced level... And i can't tell u more in detail...
Advanced is a very relative term. For example one of the other posters suggested Kleppner. This is my most favorite book on mechanics but it is advanced in the sense that the problems can be quite difficult not in the sense that it covers advanced material (except the section on general rigid body motion). If you want a book that for example covers coupled oscillators, non-linear motion and chaos, lagrangian / hamiltonian mechanics, impulse response for e.g. mass-spring systems, and rigid body motion then take a look at Taylor "Classical Mechanics".

WannabeNewton said:
Advanced is a very relative term. For example one of the other posters suggested Kleppner. This is my most favorite book on mechanics but it is advanced in the sense that the problems can be quite difficult not in the sense that it covers advanced material (except the section on general rigid body motion). If you want a book that for example covers coupled oscillators, non-linear motion and chaos, lagrangian / hamiltonian mechanics, impulse response for e.g. mass-spring systems, and rigid body motion then take a look at Taylor "Classical Mechanics".
U got it right.. I want advanced material especially on lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics. So I will check Taylor's Classical mechanics. Thank u... :smile:

d.3vil said:
U got it right.. I want advanced material especially on lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics. So I will check Taylor's Classical mechanics. Thank u... :smile:
Ok, if you are exclusively interested in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, then I would more strongly recommend you take a look at Calkin "Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics". He has a nice chapter on the virtual work principle (now if only I can figure out how to use virtual work in General Relativity :wink:)

WannabeNewton said:
Ok, if you are exclusively interested in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, then I would more strongly recommend you take a look at Calkin "Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics". He has a nice chapter on the virtual work principle (now if only I can figure out how to use virtual work in General Relativity :wink:)
I find lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics difficult. So do u recommend that book considering i just started to learn it?

d.3vil said:
I find lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics difficult. So do u recommend that book considering i just started to learn it?
Ah no I would say you should go with Taylor first in that case. Look at the material on Lagrangians and Hamtilonians in Taylor's book first. Taylor is meant as a second year mechanics text for physics students and from what I've seen Calkin is usually used after a second year mechanics class.

WannabeNewton said:
Ah no I would say you should go with Taylor first in that case. Look at the material on Lagrangians and Hamtilonians in Taylor's book first. Taylor is meant as a second year mechanics text for physics students and from what I've seen Calkin is usually used after a second year mechanics class.
Ohh... Ok then i will read Taylor first.

d.3vil said:
Ohh... Ok then i will read Taylor first.
Good luck and have fun! Taylor is a super awesome text. If you've ever used Griffiths' electrodynamics text, the conversational tone in Taylor's text will be very familiar (I love the conversational texts).

WannabeNewton said:
Good luck and have fun! Taylor is a super awesome text. If you've ever used Griffiths' electrodynamics text, the conversational tone in Taylor's text will be very familiar (I love the conversational texts).

Thanks... I love Griffiths Electrodynamics book. Someone suggested it to me and i find it really good. Hope Taylor feels the same way. :smile:

Related to Best book for classical mechanics

1. What is the best book for beginners in classical mechanics?

The best book for beginners in classical mechanics is "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. It provides a clear and thorough introduction to the subject, with plenty of examples and practice problems to reinforce concepts.

2. Is there a specific book that covers both classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics" by David Morin is a highly recommended book that covers both classical and quantum mechanics in a clear and comprehensive manner.

3. What is the difference between "Classical Mechanics" and "Analytical Mechanics"?

"Classical Mechanics" is a more general term that encompasses the study of motion and forces in classical physics, while "Analytical Mechanics" is a subfield within classical mechanics that uses mathematical tools such as calculus and differential equations to analyze and solve problems.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a classical mechanics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations that can supplement a classical mechanics textbook. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics.

5. What makes a good book for studying classical mechanics?

A good book for studying classical mechanics should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a good balance between theory and applications. It should also have a comprehensive index and a solutions manual for practice problems.