BJT amplifier - calculate resistances

In summary, the resistances of the circuit are R1=990Ω, R2=4.3KΩ, RC=4.5V/1mA, RE=2*beta*(Vcc-VCES)/(Icmax*(1+beta))-(beta/(1+beta))*(RC*RL/(RC+RL)+RC), and the voltage at the output is Vc=3.141V.
etf
Hi!
Here is my task:
Calculate RC1, RC2, RE2 for maximum undistorted symmetrical signal at output if DC collector currents are IC1=IC2=1mA. Calculate voltage gain Av.
Vcc=9V, RE1=1.8kΩ , VBE=0.7V, VCES=0.2V, VT=26mV, beta=100, VA→∞.
Solution: RE2=700Ω, RC1=5.724kΩ, RC2=3.141kΩ, Av=gm1*gm2*rpi2*RC1*RC2/(rpi2+RC1).

nik.JPG

After assuming that BJT's operate in forward active mode and solving circuit bellow I got RE2=700Ω, RC1=5.782kΩ. Is it ok? How to find RC2? I have no problems calculating Av.

31052014894.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Re1 looks good
But you are slightly off the true Rc1 value.
What is the current that is flow Rc1 ? What is the voltage across Rc1?

As for the Rc2 maybe this will give you some hint
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=633117&highlight=swing
But for your circuit Vc is not equal to 4.5V. You must include DC emitter voltage and Vce(sat).
9V - (2.518 + 0.2) = 6.282V.
So to get maximum undistorted signal Vc2 must be equal to ??

P.S

What it is ??
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70181&d=1401493487

Last edited:
Thanks, I will take a look on post... My second scheme is scheme for DC analysis, I just used models for BJT's in forward active mode (http://people.senecac.on.ca/john.kawenka/EDV255/images/bjt05.png ) instead of usual BJT symbol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your DC model is incorrect. Try to draw it again.

Whats wrong with model?

etf said:
Whats wrong with model?
The model is ok. The overall diagram is wrong. Why T1 base is short to ground?
Why Vcc is connect is not connected to ground ?

E1 should be connected to ground, instead of B1. I don't know why I connected B1 to ground :)

Do you managed to find Vc2 voltage ?

I can't figure it out :(

What is the voltage at Q2 emitter ??
And notice that voltage at collector can swing from Ve2 + Vce(sat) up to Vcc.
So to get maximum undistorted symmetrical signal at collector we must chose Vc at the middle of this swing.

VE2=VC1E1-VB2E2=2.518V so voltage at collector (VC2) can swing from 2.518V+0.2V=2.718V up to Vcc=9V (6.282V swing). Now I should find Vc and after that RC2?

etf said:
VE2=VC1E1-VB2E2=2.518V so voltage at collector (VC2) can swing from 2.518V+0.2V=2.718V up to Vcc=9V (6.282V swing). Now I should find Vc and after that RC2?
Exactly, and you should pus Vc at the middle of the swing.

2*(vc2e2-0.2)=6.282 → vc2e2=3.341v.
Vc2e2+rc*ic2-rc1*ic1-vb2e2=0 → rc2=(rc1*ic1+vb2e2-vc2e2)/ic2
rc2=3141Ω
Thanks a lot!

The answer is good, but you over complicate this.
All you need to find Rc2 is to use a II Kirchhoff law for the output loop.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70196&stc=1&d=1401570058.png

Vcc = VRc2 + Vce2 + Ve2

Ve2 = Ie2*Re1 + Ic2*Re2 = 1.01mA*1.8kΩ + 1mA*700Ω = 2.518V

The swing

Vcc - (Ve2 + Vce(sat)) = 9V - (2.518V + 0.2V) = (9V - 2.718V) = 6.282V

From this VRc2 = Vce2 = 6.282V/2 = 3.141V

And

Rc2 = VRc2/Ic2 = 3.141/1mA = 3.141kΩ

And Rc1 = (Vcc - (Ve2 + Vbe2))/( Ic1 + Ib2 ) = 5.782V/(1mA + 10μA) = 5.724kΩ

Attachments

• 31.PNG
    31.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 962
Likes 1 person
I have another example.
Calculate resistances R1, R2, RC, RE for maximal symmetrical undistorted voltage on output, if total maximal collector current is Icmax=4mA. Vcc=10V, load resistance RL=10kΩ, β=100, VBE=0.7V, VCES=0.2V, VT=26mV, VA=100.

prvi.JPG

In DC analysis, I calculated VCE=VCC-(beta*RC/(RE*(beta+1))+1)*((VCC/R1-VBE/R1-VBE/R2)/(1/R1+1/R2+(1-beta/(beta+1))/RE)). For maximal swing Vce shoud be on middle of load line. I'm not sure I understand what total maximal collector current means :confused:
Here is solution:
RE=2*beta*(Vcc-VCES)/(Icmax*(1+beta))-(beta/(1+beta))*(RC*RL/(RC+RL)+RC)
R2=R1*(2*beta*VBE+(1+beta)*RE*Icmax)/(2*beta*(Vcc-VBE)-[R1+(1+beta)*RE]*Icmax)

Last edited:
OMG, how do you manage to derive the formula for RE and Vce ??

I'm also not sure what total maximal collector current is.
I see two options.
First:
Ic_max = Icq - quiescent DC current or maybe Ic_tot = Icq + Ic_ac ?

And to find components values we can use ohms law.
For example assume Veq = 1V and Icq = 1mA and from there we have
Re = 1V/1.01mA = 990Ω = 1K.
Rc = 4.5V/1mA = 4.4KΩ ≈ 4.3KΩ and voltage at base Vb = Veq + Vbe.
So you design voltage divider to get Vb at output. And the current that is flow through divider should be much larger than the Ib

http://eelinux.ee.usm.maine.edu/cou....BJT Amps. for Undistorted VoltageSwing-X.pdf

Related to BJT amplifier - calculate resistances

What is a BJT amplifier?

A BJT amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that uses a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) to amplify an input signal. It typically consists of one or more BJTs, along with resistors and capacitors, to increase the strength of the input signal.

How do I calculate the resistances for a BJT amplifier?

The resistances for a BJT amplifier can be calculated using Ohm's law and the voltage divider rule. You will need to know the desired gain, the input and output voltages, and the transistor's current gain (beta). By manipulating these values in the appropriate equations, you can determine the necessary resistor values for your amplifier.

What is the purpose of resistors in a BJT amplifier?

Resistors in a BJT amplifier serve a variety of purposes. They can be used to set the biasing point of the transistor, which affects the amplifier's gain and frequency response. They can also be used to provide negative feedback, increasing stability and reducing distortion. Additionally, resistors can be used to match the input and output impedances of the amplifier to the source and load, respectively.

Can I use any type of resistor in a BJT amplifier?

While there are many different types of resistors, not all of them are suitable for use in a BJT amplifier. For best results, it is recommended to use high-quality, low-tolerance resistors with low temperature coefficients. This will ensure accurate and stable performance of your amplifier.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating resistances for a BJT amplifier?

One common mistake when calculating resistances for a BJT amplifier is not taking into account the voltage drop across the base-emitter junction of the transistor. This can lead to incorrect calculations and a poorly performing amplifier. It is also important to double-check your calculations and resistor values to avoid any errors that could affect the amplifier's performance.