Black Hole Orbit Inequality: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of circular orbits around a Schwarzschild black hole and the specific condition for such orbits to exist. The topic is inspired by a homework problem and the individual asks for help in understanding the inequality. The conversation also touches upon the concept of stable circular orbits and references Carroll's online notes for further understanding.
quasarLie
Hello,
Here's an interesting question inspired by a homework probem (not mine), we know that circular orbit (for scjwarzchild black hole) exist only if L ≥ sqrt3 c Rsch=Lisco . Where does this inequality come from? do you have a lecture which can help me to understand?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Circular orbit or stable circular orbit?

To find the closest stable orbit you can look at the effective potential. In Newtonian mechanics this always has a minimum, in GR you get a 1/r3 term (if I remember correctly) that ruins the minimum below this critical L. For lower L you have a potential that goes down all the way to the black hole.

Likes vanhees71
quasarLie said:
Hello,
Here's an interesting question inspired by a homework probem (not mine), we know that circular orbit (for scjwarzchild black hole) exist only if L ≥ sqrt3 c Rsch=Lisco . Where does this inequality come from? do you have a lecture which can help me to understand?
Thanks
It is covered by equations 7.29 to 7.55 in Carrol's online notes.

Likes Orodruin

Related to Black Hole Orbit Inequality: Explained

1. What is the Black Hole Orbit Inequality?

The Black Hole Orbit Inequality is a mathematical theory that describes the relationship between the mass and angular momentum of a black hole and the orbits of objects around it.

2. How does the Black Hole Orbit Inequality relate to general relativity?

The Black Hole Orbit Inequality is a fundamental concept in general relativity, as it helps to explain the behavior of objects in the extreme gravitational field of a black hole.

3. Can the Black Hole Orbit Inequality be tested or observed?

Yes, the Black Hole Orbit Inequality has been tested and confirmed through various observations and experiments, such as the orbital motion of stars around the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy.

4. What are the implications of the Black Hole Orbit Inequality?

The Black Hole Orbit Inequality has significant implications for our understanding of the universe, as it helps to explain the behavior of objects in the presence of extreme gravitational forces and provides insight into the nature of black holes.

5. Is the Black Hole Orbit Inequality a complete theory?

No, the Black Hole Orbit Inequality is just one aspect of our current understanding of black holes and their behavior. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the complexities of black holes and their role in the universe.