Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion

In summary, the old quantum condition, also known as the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization condition, states that not all kinds of motion are allowed in a system. This concept was later replaced by Schrodinger's equation, which quantizes energy levels and is the basis of the modern quantum theory. The new quantum condition is given by Schrodinger's equation, where the energy can only take on values that can be solved for using a square-integrable function. This is known as semiclassical quantum mechanics.
weezy
From wikipedia I understand that the old quantum condition $$\oint_{H(p,q)=E} p_i dq_i = n_i h $$ states that not all kinds of motion are permitted in a system. My question is why is this called the old quantum condition and what is quantization of motion? Does this mean that a particle jumps from velocity ##v_1 \rightarrow v_2## in a certain step ? I am mostly familiar with Schrodinger's equation which can be solved to see that Energy levels of a particle in a box are quantized. But does energy quantization imply momentum quantization as well? I understand the motivation of this principle comes from visualizing a particle as a wave but most experienced physicists say that is an outdated concept. If that is the case then what's the newer approach or the new quantum condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
weezy said:
From wikipedia I understand that the old quantum condition $$\oint_{H(p,q)=E} p_i dq_i = n_i h $$ states that not all kinds of motion are permitted in a system. My question is why is this called the old quantum condition and what is quantization of motion? Does this mean that a particle jumps from velocity ##v_1 \rightarrow v_2## in a certain step ? I am mostly familiar with Schrodinger's equation which can be solved to see that Energy levels of a particle in a box are quantized. But does energy quantization imply momentum quantization as well? I understand the motivation of this principle comes from visualizing a particle as a wave but most experienced physicists say that is an outdated concept. If that is the case then what's the newer approach or the new quantum condition?

The original idea was that an electron orbited the nucleus of an atom in the same way it would in classical mechanics, except that there was an additional restricting the orbits to those satisfying the quantization condition. The hypothesis was that if you tried to add energy to the system, the system would not absorb the energy in discrete quantities such that the quantization condition held before and after the absorption. (This was the "quantum leap" from one energy level to another).

The new quantum condition is given by Schrodinger's equation--the energy can only take on those values for which the time-independent Schrodinger equation can be solved to produce a square-integrable function.

Likes weezy
stevendaryl said:
The new quantum condition is given by Schrodinger's equation--the energy can only take on those values for which the time-independent Schrodinger equation can be solved to produce a square-integrable function.

You mean the stationary states?

Related to Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion

1. What is the Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion?

The Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion is a theory developed by physicists Niels Bohr and Arnold Sommerfield in the early 20th century. It is based on the idea that the motion of electrons in an atom is quantized, meaning it can only exist at certain discrete energy levels. This theory was a key step in the development of modern quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the motion of objects is described by continuous variables, such as position and velocity. However, in the Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion, these variables are replaced by discrete energy levels. This means that the motion of electrons in an atom is not continuous, but rather jumps from one energy level to another.

3. What is the significance of the Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion?

The Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion was a major breakthrough in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms. It provided a more accurate description of atomic structure and helped explain the stability of atoms. It also paved the way for further developments in quantum mechanics, which have had a huge impact on our understanding of the physical world.

4. How does the Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion relate to the modern atomic model?

The Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion was an early model of the atom, and it has since been superseded by more advanced models, such as the Schrödinger equation. However, the basic concept of quantized energy levels is still fundamental to our understanding of atoms and their behavior. The Bohr-Sommerfield model also provided a framework for the development of the modern atomic model.

5. Are there any limitations to the Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion?

Yes, the Bohr-Sommerfield quantization of motion has several limitations. It does not accurately describe the behavior of larger atoms, and it cannot account for the phenomenon of electron spin. Additionally, it does not fully explain the behavior of atoms in extreme conditions, such as in high-energy collisions. However, despite these limitations, the Bohr-Sommerfield model remains an important milestone in the history of quantum mechanics.