Books on Spacecraft Control and Navigation

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in spacecraft control and navigation, as well as their search for resources to expand their knowledge in the field. Suggestions for books with a strong mathematical background, such as "Analytical Mechanics of Space Systems" by Schaub and Junkins, "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications" by Vallado, "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Bate, Mueller, and White, and "Control of Spacecraft and Aircraft" by Bryson, are mentioned. The speaker also acknowledges the vastness of the field and clarifies that they are only looking for a good introduction to the topic.
tmay42
I am a math grad student who has really got interested in spacecraft control and navigation.

Like a lot of people, I have been playing too much ksp and gotten interested in the mathematics of spacecraft navigation and control. For fun, I derived some basic motion and control equations from Hamilton systems and what little I remember about freshman physics. Now I want to expand on my knowledge on the field.

Any books or other resource suggestions on where to start with a strong mathematical background (but little space background) would be really helpful. Also, I would really prefer cheaper books like dover since this is pretty much a hobby right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know my graduate class on spacecraft dynamics was taught using "Analytical Mechanics of Space Systems" by Schaub and Junkins. I am not a dynamics and controls guy though so I have no idea if that book is considered "good". I know at least one of the authors is NAE though, so that's got to count for something.

Schaub and Junkins is one of the more widely-used texts in aerospace engineering. Another is Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by Vallado. Yet another: Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Bate, Mueller, and White. Yet another: Control of Spacecraft and Aircraft by Bryson.

There are *lots* more. tmay42, you are asking about a very large field of study. There is no single book that encompasses this very large field.

Thank you for the reference.

DH, I do realize it is a huge field and should have been more clear in my post. I am just looking for a good introduction to the field and not asking for everything to be summarized in one book.

As a scientist with a background in spacecraft control and navigation, I am excited to hear about your interest in this field. It is wonderful to see people from different backgrounds getting interested in the complexities of space travel.

In terms of resources, I would recommend starting with "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Roger R. Bate, Donald D. Mueller, and Jerry E. White. This book provides a strong mathematical foundation for understanding spacecraft motion and control, while also providing practical applications and examples. It is a widely used textbook in the field and is available at a reasonable price.

Another great resource is "Spacecraft Dynamics and Control: A Practical Engineering Approach" by Marcel J. Sidi. This book also has a strong focus on the mathematical aspects of spacecraft control and navigation, but also includes practical engineering considerations and real-world examples.

In addition to books, I would also recommend exploring online resources such as NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory's "Basics of Space Flight" series, which covers topics such as orbital mechanics, spacecraft dynamics, and attitude control.

I understand your preference for affordable resources and I would also suggest looking into open access journals and publications, such as the Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, which often have articles and research on spacecraft control and navigation available for free.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and hope that your interest in spacecraft control and navigation continues to grow. With dedication and a strong mathematical background, you have the potential to make valuable contributions to this exciting field.

Related to Books on Spacecraft Control and Navigation

1. What is the purpose of books on spacecraft control and navigation?

Books on spacecraft control and navigation provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles, techniques, and tools used to control and navigate spacecraft. They cover various topics such as orbital mechanics, attitude determination and control, and trajectory planning.

2. Who can benefit from reading books on spacecraft control and navigation?

These books are useful for anyone interested in the field of spacecraft control and navigation, including students, researchers, and professionals working in the aerospace industry. They can also be helpful for individuals looking to learn more about the technical aspects of space missions.

3. What are some key concepts covered in books on spacecraft control and navigation?

Some key concepts covered in these books include spacecraft dynamics, orbital maneuvers, spacecraft attitude determination and control, and guidance and navigation systems. They also discuss topics such as spacecraft sensors and actuators, control algorithms, and trajectory optimization techniques.

4. Are there any specific technologies or software tools discussed in books on spacecraft control and navigation?

Yes, these books often cover various technologies and software tools used in spacecraft control and navigation. Some examples include Kalman filters, MATLAB/Simulink, and various satellite navigation systems such as GPS and GLONASS.

5. How can reading books on spacecraft control and navigation contribute to the advancement of space exploration?

By providing a thorough understanding of the principles and techniques used in spacecraft control and navigation, these books can contribute to the development of innovative technologies and strategies for space missions. They also help in training and educating the next generation of engineers and scientists who will be involved in the design and operation of spacecraft.