Boundaries and boundary conditions

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for books and papers on studying manifolds with boundaries and boundary conditions in quantum field theory. They mention lacking in mathematics knowledge and hope for the admin to move the post as soon as possible if it is not appropriate. The expert suggests books such as "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder and "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Schwartz, as well as papers by Weinberg. They also advise brushing up on differential geometry and topology for a better understanding of the topic.
Breo
I am not sure if this should be posted here. If not I hope you accept my apologizes and the admin move on the post as soon as possible.

I am studying manifold with boundaries and boundary conditions in a quantum field theory approach.

Could you recommend me books or papers about that?

I lack in mathematics knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out about your interest in studying manifolds with boundaries and boundary conditions in quantum field theory. I am always happy to see others pursuing knowledge and expanding their understanding in various fields.

I do have some recommendations for books and papers that may help you in your studies. First, I suggest looking into "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to quantum field theory and covers topics such as manifolds and boundary conditions.

Another book that may be helpful is "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz. This book also covers manifolds and boundary conditions in the context of quantum field theory.

In terms of papers, I recommend looking into the works of Steven Weinberg, who is a renowned physicist and has made significant contributions to the field of quantum field theory. Some of his papers that may be relevant to your studies include "Boundary Conditions in Quantum Field Theory" and "Quantum Field Theory and the Geometry of Spacetime."

I understand that you mentioned lacking in mathematics knowledge, so I also recommend brushing up on your knowledge of differential geometry and topology, as these are crucial for understanding manifolds and boundary conditions in quantum field theory.

I hope these recommendations are helpful to you and wish you all the best in your studies. Remember, learning takes time and effort, but it is always worth it in the end. Keep pursuing your interests and never stop learning.

Related to Boundaries and boundary conditions

What are boundaries and boundary conditions?

Boundaries and boundary conditions are important concepts in scientific research and refer to the limits or constraints of a system or model. Boundaries define the scope and scale of a system, while boundary conditions specify the external factors or inputs that affect the system.

Why are boundaries and boundary conditions important in scientific research?

Boundaries and boundary conditions are important because they help scientists define and understand complex systems. By setting boundaries and specifying boundary conditions, scientists can isolate and study specific aspects of a system, and make accurate predictions about how it will behave under different conditions.

What are some common types of boundaries and boundary conditions?

Common types of boundaries include physical boundaries (such as walls or barriers), conceptual boundaries (such as the edge of a model or simulation), and temporal boundaries (such as a specific time period or duration). Boundary conditions can include factors such as temperature, pressure, or external forces that affect the system.

How do scientists determine appropriate boundaries and boundary conditions for their research?

Determining appropriate boundaries and boundary conditions requires careful consideration of the research question and the system being studied. Scientists may use observations, experiments, and modeling to determine the key factors and inputs that need to be included in their boundaries and boundary conditions.

What are some potential challenges or limitations in setting boundaries and boundary conditions?

One potential challenge is that boundaries and boundary conditions are often simplifications of complex systems, and may not accurately represent the full range of factors and interactions at play. Additionally, boundaries and boundary conditions may need to be adjusted as new information or data becomes available, making it important for scientists to continually evaluate and refine their understanding of these concepts.