Branched-line pumping system curve help

In summary, the speaker is a student trying to determine the system curve for a pipe line system. They are familiar with calculating friction loss for one flow, but not for a system of branched flow. They read an article stating that for parallel pipes, the friction head is the same for all branches. The speaker has a simplified sketch with two pumps running in parallel and delivering flow to 5 destinations. They have measurements for pipe length, fittings, and flow rate for two branches, as well as pressure at two of the destinations. They are unsure if the process for determining the system curve is the same as described in the article. The speaker is asking for help with figuring out the system curve.
help_pls
Hi all,

I am a student trying to figure out the system curve for a pipe line system. I know how to calculate friction loss for just one flow, but not for a system of branched flow!

I read a short article online saying that for parallel pipes the friction head is the same for all branches, so in my understanding that I only need to figure out the system curve for one line and then multiply by the number of lines to obtain the total system curve? but I am not sure if the "parallel pipes" system is the same one that I am trying to work on!

I have a quick simplified sketch attached here. In the drawing, the two pumps are running in parallel and the flow is delivered unevenly to 5 destination places. The static head is zero as in there is no elevation difference between the suction side and any of the destination places. I only have the means to measure pipe length, fittings and current flow rate for branch A and B, as well as the pressure at Destination A and B in the drawing here. Is the process for figuring out the system curve the same as described in the last paragragh, which I figure out the system for A and B, add them together and multiply by 4?

Wsotz

Please help me how to figure all the system curve!

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Branched-line pumping system curve help

What is a branched-line pumping system curve?

A branched-line pumping system curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the flow rate and the total dynamic head required for a pumping system with multiple branches.

Why is it important to understand the branched-line pumping system curve?

Understanding the branched-line pumping system curve is crucial in designing and operating an efficient pumping system. It helps determine the optimal flow rate and head for each branch, as well as identify potential issues such as insufficient flow or excessive pressure.

How is the branched-line pumping system curve calculated?

The branched-line pumping system curve is calculated by plotting the individual pump performance curves for each branch on the same graph and then combining the flow rates and heads at each point to create the overall system curve.

What factors can affect the shape of the branched-line pumping system curve?

The shape of the branched-line pumping system curve can be affected by various factors such as changes in system demand, pump wear and tear, changes in fluid properties, and the addition or removal of branches in the system.

How can the branched-line pumping system curve be used to optimize pump performance?

The branched-line pumping system curve can be used to determine the most efficient operating point for each pump in the system. By adjusting the flow rates and heads of each branch, the overall system curve can be optimized to reduce energy consumption and prolong the life of the pumps.