Buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole

In summary, the speaker is conducting experiments on the buckling of a square plate with a circular hole, and is searching for references and equations related to this phenomenon in the field of structural mechanics. They also mention their primary goal is unrelated to buckling, but they would like to learn more about the mechanical properties of the plate. They are open to advice and suggestions from other experts in the field.
voynich
Hi,

I am carrying out a series of experiments which consist of a square plate object placed over a circular hole. The experiment is done in such a way that I can apply a point force at the center of the plate and see how much force is required to pull the plate through the hole. I should add that I see the plate buckle at certain force levels before being pulled through. Although the primary goal of my work is unrelated to this buckling phenomenon I would also like to learn as much as I can about the mechanical properties of the plate (which are for the most part unknown [there are some indirect estimates for Young's modulus, etc.. from literature]). I think this must be a scenario that mechanical engineers have encountered in the past and derived equations for buckling, the buckling limit, etc... So far I have not been able to find a good reference, although I have seen some equations for buckling of square plates with various boundary conditions but not specifically with a point force applied at the center.

I am looking for some good references, if someone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your experiment sounds interesting and it seems like you are on the right track in terms of finding references for buckling of square plates. I can offer some advice and suggestions for your research.

Firstly, I would recommend looking into the field of structural mechanics, specifically dealing with plates and shells. There are many established theories and equations for calculating the buckling of plates under different loading conditions. Some key terms to search for would be "plate buckling," "plate theory," and "plate and shell structures."

Secondly, you can explore the concept of critical buckling load, which is the maximum load that a plate can withstand before buckling occurs. This can be calculated using various methods, such as the Euler buckling equation or the Rayleigh-Ritz method.

In terms of specific references, I would suggest looking into textbooks on structural mechanics, as well as research articles published in reputable journals in the field. Additionally, you can try reaching out to mechanical engineers or professors who have experience in this area for guidance and potential collaboration.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiments!

Related to Buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole

What is the buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole?

The buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole refers to the maximum load that the plate can withstand before it buckles or collapses. This is an important factor to consider in engineering and design to ensure the structural integrity of the plate.

How is the buckling limit calculated?

The buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole is calculated using mathematical equations and formulas, which take into account the dimensions of the plate, the material properties, and the size and location of the hole. These calculations are typically done using finite element analysis.

What factors affect the buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole?

The buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the hole, the thickness and material of the plate, and the boundary conditions. Other factors, such as temperature and external loads, can also play a role.

Why is the buckling limit important in structural design?

The buckling limit is important in structural design because it determines the maximum load that a plate can withstand without buckling. If this limit is exceeded, the plate may fail and compromise the overall stability and safety of the structure.

How can the buckling limit be increased?

The buckling limit of a square plate over a circular hole can be increased by using thicker and stronger materials, increasing the size of the plate, or by adding reinforcements such as ribs or stiffeners. It is also important to consider the location and orientation of the hole to minimize its impact on the plate's stability.