Build DIY Mini Water Pump: Solve Problems Now

In summary: I am going to change the fan to be a bit more flexible so that it can be attached to the motor in a different spot.In summary, the mini water pump is not working because the fan is not blowing air into the bottle and the pressure that the fan can generate is not enough to push water up the straw.
Shadow-Shocker
I am building a mini water pump out of a 3L plastic container, a 6V mini motor, 12 inch straws, a cut up CD for a cover (in the pic it is what is between the fan and straw), and bits of a soda can to make up a fan for the motor. Problem is when I tested the product, not enough water/air is coming out of the straws I am not quite sure I am using the right motor to help pull up the water, the distance of the straws, or the thickness of the fan. There may be more factors to consider, but I am not quite sure. Any help will be very appreciated.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
Shadow-Shocker said:
I am building a mini water pump out of a 3L plastic container, a 6V mini motor, 12 inch straws, a cut up CD for a cover (in the pic it is what is between the fan and straw), and bits of a soda can to make up a fan for the motor. Problem is when I tested the product, not enough water/air is coming out of the straws I am not quite sure I am using the right motor to help pull up the water, the distance of the straws, or the thickness of the fan. There may be more factors to consider, but I am not quite sure. Any help will be very appreciated.
Welcome to the PF.

How do you prime your pump arrangement?

Can I check how it is meant to work? Is the idea that the fan blows air into the bottle and you want the increased pressure to push water up the straw? If so then I suspect the problem is the pressure that the fan can generate. Even quite large computer fans only manage to generate a pressure equivalent to a few mm of water...

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/air-series-sp120-pwm-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-fan-twin-pack

Features
  • Outstanding static pressure of up to 1.29 mmH20

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

How do you prime your pump arrangement?
Nevermind I changed the position of the pump of where it is suppose to be so it would have more leverage of pumping more water.

CWatters said:
Can I check how it is meant to work? Is the idea that the fan blows air into the bottle and you want the increased pressure to push water up the straw? If so then I suspect the problem is the pressure that the fan can generate. Even quite large computer fans only manage to generate a pressure equivalent to a few mm of water...

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/air-series-sp120-pwm-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-fan-twin-pack

Yeah I kind of figured that one out quick, that is why I am going to put the pump in the water and arrange the straw to be attached on the side where the fan is. You can look up models like them on youtube "How to make a mini water pump"

OK so it doesn't blow air into the bottle.

CWatters said:
OK so it doesn't blow air into the bottle.
I changed the design of the motor, and instead water is suppose to go through the top lid and water will be coming out from the side. I figured out the problem already and that was the fan being attached to the motor.

Related to Build DIY Mini Water Pump: Solve Problems Now

1. How does a DIY mini water pump work?

A DIY mini water pump works by using a simple motor to rotate an impeller, which creates a suction force to pull water from a source and push it through a series of tubes or pipes to a desired location. The rotation of the impeller also creates pressure, forcing the water out of the pump and into the desired location.

2. What materials are needed to build a DIY mini water pump?

The materials needed to build a DIY mini water pump include a small DC motor, impeller, tubing or pipes, a power source (such as a battery or solar panel), and various connectors and fittings. Optional materials may include a water reservoir, switch, and housing for the pump.

3. How difficult is it to build a DIY mini water pump?

The difficulty level of building a DIY mini water pump can vary depending on your level of experience and access to tools. However, with a basic understanding of electronics and some basic tools, it can be a fun and relatively easy project to complete.

4. What are some common problems encountered when building a DIY mini water pump?

Some common problems encountered when building a DIY mini water pump include leaks in the tubing or pipes, the impeller not rotating properly, and the pump not providing enough pressure or flow. These issues can often be solved by double-checking connections and ensuring all components are properly sized and functioning.

5. What are some practical applications for a DIY mini water pump?

A DIY mini water pump can be used for a variety of applications, including creating a small water fountain, watering plants, or even for simple irrigation systems. It can also be used as a learning tool for understanding basic principles of fluid mechanics and engineering. The possibilities are endless!