Building a solar cooker for school

In summary, a student from Germany is working on a school project to build a solar cooker that can heat 1 liter of water in 80 minutes. They have purchased a 15.6 x 15.6 inches fresnellens and are planning to use a translucent jar with a piece of copper inside to absorb the sun's rays and heat the water. The student is seeking advice on the best way to heat the water at the focus of the lens and has been advised to use a black object with a large surface area for better absorption of radiant energy. They have also been encouraged to conduct an experiment to determine the amount of time it will take for the water to reach 100°C.
Berkan
(Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany) Hello! I need to build a solar cooker as a school project. Our build needs to be able to heat 1 liter of water in 80 minutes. My idea was, to heat the water by using a fresnellens. I've bought a 15.6 x 15.6 inches fresnellens for that. I thought about the construction and builded it. Now I have one big question. How am I supposted to heat the water at the focus of the lens? I thought about using a translucent jar with a piece of copper inside of it. The copper is suppost to absorb the sun ray and warm the water inside of the jar. Would this even work?

The attempt at a solution
Using of copper?

Physics news on Phys.org
Very hard but possible, first you need big lens, maybe yours will do, copper is good at absorbing heat, but use black objects, they're better at absorbing radiant energy, and the water which is colder with steal the heat from the black body and so on
So, i advice you to do :
Small expirement to measure the heat of the black body while sun is hitting him through your lens and predict by that how much time will it need to reach 100°C and check if your lens work .
I encourage you :)

Okay, thank you!
I thought about copper, because it has a pretty good thermoconductivity

Last edited:
Any metal will do. Just make sure that it has an adequate surface area. Color the outside black and the inside shiny or white. 80°C is a lot

I'll do that, thank you!

Related to Building a solar cooker for school

1. How does a solar cooker work?

A solar cooker uses the sun's energy to heat and cook food. It typically has a reflective surface that concentrates the sun's rays onto a cooking area, trapping the heat and cooking the food inside.

2. What materials do I need to build a solar cooker?

The main materials you will need are cardboard, aluminum foil, and clear plastic. You may also need scissors, glue, and a ruler to help with the construction.

3. Can I use a solar cooker on cloudy days?

While a solar cooker is most effective on sunny days, it can still be used on cloudy days. The cooker will still harness the sun's energy, though it may take longer to cook the food.

4. How do I know if my solar cooker is working?

You can tell if your solar cooker is working by checking the temperature inside the cooking area. You can use a thermometer or simply feel the surface of the food to see if it is warm.

5. Is it safe to cook food in a solar cooker?

Yes, it is safe to cook food in a solar cooker. Just like cooking on a stove or in an oven, you should always follow proper food safety guidelines to ensure your food is cooked thoroughly.