Building Graph Bands with Errors

In summary, the conversation is about finding a program that can build bands instead of just line curves, taking into consideration the errors of a graph. The speaker mentions ROOT as a possible option but suggests avoiding it if possible. They also mention using python/matplotlib with the "fill_between" plotting function as a way to achieve the desired result.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I'm not really sure where this thread belongs...

Do you know any (free) program that can allow to build bands (instead of just line curves) to take into consideration the errors of a graph?

eg if I want to draw:
[itex]y= bx + (c \pm \delta c) [/itex] to get something like the yellow band in this (of course it's just an example for what I'm looking):
Χωρίς τίτλο2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a science software question.

ROOT can do it, but I would avoid it if possible...

There probably are several programs that do it and probably several ways to do it...a quick search reveals that you should be able to do it using python/matplotlib with the "fill_between" plotting funtion; see this example.

Likes ChrisVer

Related to Building Graph Bands with Errors

1. What are graph bands with errors?

Graph bands with errors are a type of visual representation used to display data with a range of uncertainty. They typically consist of a central line representing the mean or average value and bands on either side representing the upper and lower limits of the data. These bands can be used to show the variability or margin of error in the data.

2. How are graph bands with errors created?

Graph bands with errors are created by first collecting and analyzing data. The mean or average value is then calculated, as well as the upper and lower limits of the data. These values are then plotted on a graph with the mean as a central line and the upper and lower limits as bands on either side. Some graphing software also allows for the automatic creation of graph bands with errors.

3. What is the purpose of using graph bands with errors?

The purpose of using graph bands with errors is to visually communicate the uncertainty or variability in the data being presented. This can help viewers better understand the reliability of the data and make more informed decisions based on the information being presented.

4. How do I interpret graph bands with errors?

Interpreting graph bands with errors involves understanding the central line as the mean or average value, and the bands as the upper and lower limits of the data. The wider the bands, the greater the variability or uncertainty in the data. Additionally, if the central line falls outside of the bands, it indicates a statistically significant difference from the mean.

5. What are the limitations of using graph bands with errors?

One limitation of using graph bands with errors is that they can only represent a single source of uncertainty. If there are multiple sources of uncertainty in the data, it may be more appropriate to use other visual representations such as error bars or confidence intervals. Additionally, graph bands with errors should be used with caution when the data is highly skewed or when there are a small number of data points.