Calculate fraction of relative molecular mass

In summary: As our compound contains carbon and hydrogen we need to calculate these masses and deduct them from 128 to give us the mass of the chlorine and bromine combination. 2H = 2 and C = 12.Therefore, the fraction of the mass of 128 to the total mass of 129.5 is 99%.
jdoyle
Can anyone help with the following question - see attachment.
Answer C is correct.
I have been told that it can be solved thus:

As our compound contains carbon and hydrogen we need to calculate these masses and deduct them from 128 to give us the mass of the chlorine and bromine combination.

2H = 2 and C = 12.

128 - 14 = 114. This is the remaining mass of the chlorine and bromine.

The only combination of isotopes that give us this value are Cl 35 and Br 79.

We know that the chance of Cl being 35 is 3:4 or ¾ and the chance of Br being 79 is ½.
If we now multiply these fractions we find the required fraction of the compound.

¾ x ½ = 3/8. Answer C is correct.

However what I do not understand is how this gives the correct fraction. The mass of the compound is (12) + (2) + [(3/4 x 35) + (1/4 x 37)] + [(1/2 x 79) + (1/2 + 81)] = 129.5

Therefore the fraction of the mass of 128 to the total mass of 129.5 = 99% approx. Even if I just select the elements with a combined mass of 128 i.e. 12 + 2 + 26.25 + 39.5 = 79.75, this gives me 79.75/129.5 = 61.5% approx. which is not 3/8.

What I also do not understand is why the fractions are multiplied and why the mass of the hydrogen and carbon (which must be added to give a mass of 128) do not affect this fraction.

Can anyone help? All replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• Fraction of relative mass.png
    Fraction of relative mass.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 771
Physics news on Phys.org
jdoyle said:
However what I do not understand is how this gives the correct fraction. The mass of the compound is (12) + (2) + [(3/4 x 35) + (1/4 x 37)] + [(1/2 x 79) + (1/2 + 81)] = 129.5

Yes, this molar mass, averaged over all possible combinations.

Therefore the fraction of the mass of 128 to the total mass of 129.5 = 99% approx. Even if I just select the elements with a combined mass of 128 i.e. 12 + 2 + 26.25 + 39.5 = 79.75, this gives me 79.75/129.5 = 61.5% approx. which is not 3/8.[q/uote]

No idea what you are doing here. You are apparently confusing something with something generating complete mess :frown: 128/129.5 is a ratio of mass of a particular molecule to the average mass of the compound molecules - and it has nothing to do with the isotopic fractions.

What I also do not understand is why the fractions are multiplied and why the mass of the hydrogen and carbon (which must be added to give a mass of 128) do not affect this fraction.

In all molecules CH2 has an identical mass of 12, so it doesn't change the outcome. But it is not ignored - it is present in all masses involved.

Bromochloromethane is a mixture of CH235Cl79Br (m=128), CH237Cl79Br (m=130), CH235Cl81Br (m=130) and CH237Cl81Br (m=132). Fraction of each is given by the product of fractions of the isotopes:

CH235Cl79Br (m=12+2+35+79=128) - 3/4*1/2=3/8
CH237Cl79Br (m=12+2+37+79=130) - 1/4*1/2=1/8
CH235Cl81Br (m=12+2+35+81=130) - 3/4*1/2=3/8
CH237Cl81Br (m=12+2+37+79=132) - 1/4*1/2=1/8

Sum of fractions is 1, as expected.

These fractions can be determined in a different way, for example preparing pieces of paper pretending to be isotopes of Br and Cl (just remember to have them in correct ratios), drawing them form the bag, calculating mass of the 'obtained molecule' and noting its occurrence. After many trials you will see that fractions of different molecules are identical to these calculated.

Molar mass is the weighted average:

[tex]M = 128\times\frac 3 8 + 130\times\frac 1 8 + 130\times\frac 3 8 + 132\times\frac 1 8 = 129.5[/tex]

Hi PFAdmin,

Thanks very much. I had become so confused I couldn't see the wood for the trees. Your explanation is very clear. Thanks again.

John

Related to Calculate fraction of relative molecular mass

What is relative molecular mass?

Relative molecular mass, also known as molecular weight, is the average mass of a molecule in atomic mass units (amu). It is calculated by adding the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule.

How do you calculate the fraction of relative molecular mass?

The fraction of relative molecular mass is calculated by dividing the mass of a specific element in a molecule by the total relative molecular mass and multiplying by 100%. This gives the percentage of the total molecular mass contributed by that element.

Why is calculating the fraction of relative molecular mass important?

Calculating the fraction of relative molecular mass is important because it helps determine the composition of a molecule. This information is useful in various scientific fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmacology.

What is the difference between relative molecular mass and molar mass?

Relative molecular mass is the average mass of a molecule, while molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance. Molar mass is calculated by multiplying the relative molecular mass by the molar mass constant, which is equal to 1 g/mol.

Can you calculate the fraction of relative molecular mass for a compound with multiple elements?

Yes, the fraction of relative molecular mass can be calculated for compounds with multiple elements by following the same process of dividing the mass of each element by the total relative molecular mass and multiplying by 100%. This will give the percentage of the total molecular mass contributed by each element in the compound.