Calculate Inductor for 3-phase Rectifier Ripple <20%

In summary: I think I just assumed that R would be 10Ω because that is what is typically used in low-pass filters. :)
commelion
in three phase rectification at say 50 hz the dc output ripple will be in 6 times the supply frequency, when choosing an inductor to smooth this ripple to <20% of the output frequency,what formula should be used.

also if say the supply frequency was 100 hz is it correct to persume that the out put would be 600 hz ect

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
commelion said:
in three phase rectification at say 50 hz the dc output ripple will be in 6 times the supply frequency, when choosing an inductor to smooth this ripple to<20% of the output frequency,what formula should be used.

What do you mean here? 20% of the output average? 20% of the input level?

I doubt that I can help much, but someone else may be able to once you fix this description. Inductors are not so common for smoothing nowadays. Have you covered this topic in class?
also if say the supply frequency was 100 hz is it correct to persume that the out put would be 600 hz ect
Yes, I think so.

hi

thanks for your time

it means 20 % of the output frequency ie 300 x 0.2 = 60 hz
I got an answer as

max ripple=1/((2pi (L /R)) 60= 10/2pi.L = 26 milli h

looks ok

regards

hi again

i should have mentioned the input as being 3 phase 50 hz

regards

commelion said:
it means 20 % of the output frequency ie 300 x 0.2 = 60 hz
I got an answer as

max ripple=1/((2pi (L /R)) 60= 10/2pi.L = 26 milli h

looks ok
Hmm, there are some things not clear in your rule of thumb there. I surmize that the method you are following is to design a low-pass LR filter having a bandwidth = 20% of the output frequency. That's fair enough.

Your formula 1/((2pi (L /R)) looks appropriate, too. But from where did you pluck your value for R? You seem to be assuming R equals 10Ω, though I can see nothing in the question that could lead to this or any other value. :confused:

NascentOxygen said:
Hmm, there are some things not clear in your rule of thumb there. I surmize that the method you are following is to design a low-pass LR filter having a bandwidth = 20% of the output frequency. That's fair enough.

Your formula 1/((2pi (L /R)) looks appropriate, too. But from where did you pluck your value for R? You seem to be assuming R equals 10Ω, though I can see nothing in the question that could lead to this or any other value. :confused:

appoligies the question states the output voltage as being 150 volts/ current 15 amps, and ignore inductor losses

cheers

Fair enough.

Related to Calculate Inductor for 3-phase Rectifier Ripple <20%

What is the purpose of calculating the inductor for a 3-phase rectifier ripple <20%?

The purpose of calculating the inductor is to determine the appropriate size and value of the inductor needed in a 3-phase rectifier circuit in order to achieve a ripple of less than 20% in the output voltage.

What factors affect the calculation of the inductor for a 3-phase rectifier ripple <20%?

The main factors that affect the calculation of the inductor are the input voltage, output voltage, and load current. The frequency of the input voltage and the desired ripple percentage also play a role in the calculation.

How do you calculate the inductor for a 3-phase rectifier ripple <20%?

The inductor can be calculated using the formula L = (Vout * T) / (ΔIL * Vin), where L is the inductor value in Henrys, Vout is the output voltage, T is the period of the input voltage, ΔIL is the desired change in inductor current, and Vin is the input voltage.

What are the units for inductor values in the calculation for a 3-phase rectifier ripple <20%?

The units for inductor values in this calculation are Henrys (H). However, in practical applications, inductors are often measured in milliHenrys (mH) or microHenrys (μH).

Why is it important to achieve a ripple of less than 20% in a 3-phase rectifier circuit?

Achieving a ripple of less than 20% ensures a more stable and consistent output voltage, which is important for the proper functioning of electronic devices that rely on a steady power supply. A lower ripple also reduces the chances of damaging sensitive components in the circuit due to fluctuations in voltage.