Calculate the final temperature of the helium

In summary, the problem presents a rigid cylinder containing helium at a pressure of 5 bar and a temperature of 15 oC, which is connected to a large source of helium at 10 bar and 15 oC. The valve connecting the cylinder is closed when the pressure reaches 8 bar. Assuming no heat transfer during the process and using Cv for helium as 3.12 KJ/KgK, the final temperature of the helium in the cylinder is calculated to be 61.5 oC. There are two equivalent approaches that can be used to solve this problem: a closed system approach and an open system approach, both of which lead to the same equations and final answer. However, there seems to be a discrepancy
Albert1017

Homework Statement

A rigid cylinder contains helium (molar mass 4kg/kmol) at a pressure of 5 bar and a temperature of 15 oC. The cylinder is now connected to a large source of helium at 10 bar and 15 oC, and the valve connecting the cylinder is closed when the cylinder pressure has risen to 8 bar. Calculate the final temperature of the helium in the cylinder assuming that the heat transfer during the process is negligibly small. Take Cv for helium as 3.12 KJ/KgK

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to combine the two pressure at phase 1 but in vain.
The answer is 61.5 oC

Physics news on Phys.org
where's your mass and energy balances??

Seems to me that, since there is no heat transferred and no work done, that the final temperature must also be 15C assuming an ideal gas since then dU = dQ - dW = 0 and for an ideal gas dU = function of T only.

The final no. of moles is then given by p_2 V = n_2 RT.

There are two equivalent approaches that can be used to solve this problem. One is a closed system approach, and the other is an open system approach. Both approaches lead to the same equations and to the same final answer. In the closed system approach, we treat the system as the gas originally within the cylinder plus the gas that eventually enters the cylinder from the large source. In the open system approach, we consider the cylinder as an open system into which the outside gas flows.

I'm going to focus on the closed system approach, although, in the OP's course, I'm guessing that they must currently be studying the open system approach. Between the initial and final equilibrium states of the system, there is no heat transfer to the system, but there is work done by the gas within the large source on that portion of the gas within the large source that enters the cylinder (the latter is part of our closed system). The amount of work done in pushing the gas into the cylinder is psvsns, where ps is the pressure within the large source, vs is the molar specific volume of the gas within the large source, and ns is the total number of moles of gas that enter the cylinder from the large source. According to the first law, this work must be equal to the change in internal energy of the system:
ΔU=(ns+n0)CvM(T-288) where n0 is the number of moles originally in the cylinder, M is the molar mass of the helium, and T is the final absolute temperature. So, from the first law,

(ns+n0)CvM(T-288)=psvsns
This equation can be combined with the ideal gas law to determine all the unknowns.

So, OP, show us how you proceed.

Chet

Thanks for the correction Chet. I was very uneasy about this one, which is why I started with 'Seems to me ...". Good thing I did. :redface:

Hard for me even now to visualize the work done.

rude man said:
Thanks for the correction Chet. I was very uneasy about this one, which is why I started with 'Seems to me ...". Good thing I did. :redface:

Hard for me even now to visualize the work done.
It might help to picture an invisible membrane (with zero structural rigidity) surrounding the gas that eventually enters the cylinder, and separating it from the bulk of the gas in the large source. The pressure of the surroundings acting on this membrane is the pressure within the large source (throughout the entire injection). The volume change of the system (consisting of this gas and the gas initially in the cylinder) is just the volume of the gas within the membrane to begin with.

Chet

Albert1017, are you still out there? How sure are you about that 61.5 C? I get a different answer. I get 47 C. Can you provide a solution that gives 61.5 C?

Chet

Related to Calculate the final temperature of the helium

1. How do you calculate the final temperature of helium?

The final temperature of helium can be calculated using the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of helium, R is the gas constant, and T is the final temperature. Rearrange the equation to solve for T, and plug in the given values.

2. What units should be used for the calculation?

The units used in the calculation should be consistent. Pressure should be in units of pressure (such as atm or Pa), volume should be in units of volume (such as liters or cubic meters), and temperature should be in units of Kelvin.

3. Can the final temperature of helium be negative?

No, the final temperature of helium cannot be negative. According to the ideal gas law, temperature is directly proportional to pressure and volume, and inversely proportional to the number of moles. Therefore, a negative temperature would result in a negative pressure or volume, which is not physically possible.

4. What factors can affect the final temperature of helium?

The final temperature of helium can be affected by changes in pressure, volume, or the number of moles of helium. Additionally, external factors such as heat transfer or chemical reactions can also impact the final temperature.

5. Can the final temperature of helium be accurately calculated in real-world scenarios?

In ideal conditions, the final temperature of helium can be accurately calculated using the ideal gas law. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation, such as non-ideal behavior of gases or external factors that cannot be accounted for in the equation.