Calculate the speed of a boy at the end of the chute

In summary, the boy slides down a water chute and has a speed at the end of the chute and on entering the water.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

14.11 A boy slides down a water chute, starting from rest a A. Neglecting friction
determine his speed (a) at the end B of the chute; and (b) on entering the water at C.

Fig P14_11.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for (a):
Pytels_Dynamics105.jpg

for (b):

Do I have to treat the boy at B as a projectile?

Attachments

• Pytels_Dynamics105.jpg
    Pytels_Dynamics105.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 335
  • Fig P14_11.jpg
    Fig P14_11.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 771
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexanddros81 said:
The answer is "No" if all you have to do is find the speed at C. You would if you had to find the time he sails through the air.

Am I using again principle of work and energy for (b)?
Why the 30deg angle is given at point B? Is it used in the calculations?

Alexanddros81 said:
Am I using again principle of work and energy for (b)?
Yes.
Alexanddros81 said:
Why the 30deg angle is given at point B? Is it used in the calculations?
Probably to show you that you can use energy considerations or projectile motion and get the same answer either way. Try it and see for yourself.

Likes Alexanddros81
Alexanddros81 said:
for (b):

Yes, you must treat the boy as a projectile. The boy will have a horizontal velocity you calculated above and zero vertical velocity. Zero horizontal acceleration and gravity pulling downwards.

You could also do this with the work energy principle of course, if you wanted. As explained by kuruman

lekh2003 said:
The boy will have a horizontal velocity you calculated above and zero vertical velocity.
The launch speed as calculated by OP is 12.52 m/s. The velocity is directed at 30o above the horizontal and has both a vertical and a horizontal component.

Likes Alexanddros81 and lekh2003
kuruman said:
The launch speed as calculated by OP is 12.52 m/s. The velocity is directed at 30o above the horizontal and has both a vertical and a horizontal component.
Oh yes, sorry. I made a mistake.

So here is my solution using work and energy principle:

Pytels_Dynamics107.jpg

Is this correct?
Also I used projectile motion and I got ##v_C=13.92 m/s##. I guess it is the precission in the decimal places of the numbers used for the calculations.

Attachments

• Pytels_Dynamics107.jpg
    Pytels_Dynamics107.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 322
Alexanddros81 said:
I guess it is the precission in the decimal places of the numbers used for the calculations.
I am sure it is round off errors. Also note that for part (b) you could have conserved energy directly from A to C and used ##U_{A \rightarrow C}=W(10~m)##.

Likes Alexanddros81

Related to Calculate the speed of a boy at the end of the chute

1. How do you calculate the speed of a boy at the end of the chute?

To calculate the speed of a boy at the end of the chute, you would need to know the distance the boy travels down the chute and the time it takes for him to reach the end. This can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance/time.

2. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance/time. This formula measures how fast an object is moving in a given amount of time.

3. What units are used to measure speed?

The most commonly used units for measuring speed are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph). However, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) and miles per minute (mi/min) can also be used.

4. Is the speed of the boy constant throughout the chute?

No, the speed of the boy is not constant throughout the chute. As the boy travels down the chute, he may speed up or slow down depending on factors such as friction and gravity.

5. Can the speed of the boy be negative?

Yes, the speed of the boy can be negative. This would indicate that the boy is moving in the opposite direction of the chute. For example, if the boy is sliding down a slide and then decides to climb back up, his speed would be negative as he moves in the opposite direction of the slide.