Calculate the wavelength of electrons traveling at 1.15x10^5

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the wavelength of electrons traveling at 1.15x10^5 m/s can be calculated using the equation λ = h/m*v. Substituting the given values of h=6.626x10^-34 J*s, m=9.11x10^-31kg, and v=1.15x10^5 m/s, the resulting wavelength is 6.00x10^-9m. This is equivalent to 6.33nm, which is a common unit for small wavelengths. Furthermore, using this wavelength, the energy content of 1 gram of electrons traveling at the same speed can be calculated to be 3.45 x 107Kj/g e
Anna Davis

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavelength of electrons traveling at 1.15x10^5 m/s

Homework Equations

λ = h/m*v

Given values:
h=6.626x10^-34 J*s
m=9.11x10^-31kg
v=1.15x10^5 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted J*s to SI units (kg⋅m2⋅s−2) and then substituted out all known values, to get:
λ = (6.626x10^-34 kg⋅m2⋅s−2)/(9.11x10^-31kg)(1.15x10^5 m/s)

After canceling out like units and doing the math, I get:
λ = 6.00x10^-9m

The text gives the solution as 6.33nm. I can't figure out how they got there (and why they converted to nm?).

Is this an error in the text or (more likely) in my logic/calcuations?

Any/all input is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anna Davis said:
The text gives the solution as 6.33nm. I can't figure out how they got there (and why they converted to nm?).
Your expression is correct, just redo the arithmetic. For wavelengths that small, nm is a typical unit.

Likes Anna Davis
Ah, good to know about nm... And I'll do the math again (hopefully better!). Thanks :)

If interested, and using the wavelength determined in the above problem, calculate the amount of energy in 1 gram of electrons moving at the same speed. (See if you can get ∆E = 1.9 x 104Kj/mole e-'s = 3.45 x 107Kj/g e-'s. Compare: A candle flame generating q ~ 40.7 Kj/g from burning paraffin wax to the energy content of a gram of electrons traveling at 1.15 x 105m/s. => You might find it very surprising. You are definitely on the right track. Good job!

Related to Calculate the wavelength of electrons traveling at 1.15x10^5

1. What is the formula for calculating the wavelength of electrons?

The formula for calculating the wavelength of electrons is: λ = h / p, where λ is the wavelength, h is the Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and p is the momentum of the electron (mass x velocity).

2. How do you convert the given velocity of 1.15x10^5 to momentum?

To convert the given velocity of 1.15x10^5, you can use the formula p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the electron (9.11 x 10^-31 kg), and v is the velocity in meters per second. First, convert the given velocity to meters per second by dividing by 1,000,000. Then, plug in the values into the formula to calculate the momentum.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the wavelength of electrons?

The unit of measurement for the wavelength of electrons is meters (m).

4. Can the wavelength of electrons be calculated for all velocities?

Yes, the wavelength of electrons can be calculated for all velocities using the formula λ = h / p. However, at high velocities, the wavelength may become too small to measure accurately.

5. How does the wavelength of electrons compare to the wavelength of light?

The wavelength of electrons is much smaller than the wavelength of light. The wavelength of light is typically measured in nanometers (10^-9 m), while the wavelength of electrons is measured in meters. This is because electrons have a much smaller mass compared to photons, the particles that make up light.