Calculate torque of an 80kg object rotating on its central axis

In summary, the setup is for a bowl-shaped object that sits on ball bearings to rotate. The object is 80 kg and the motor is needed to rotate it at 4-5 rpm.
Running dry.

The specs again:
NEMA 17 Planetary Geared Stepper Motor
Weight = 0.5Kg
Rated Voltage = 12V DC
Rated Current = 0.4A DC
Rotor Inertia = 35gcm2
Holding Torque before gearbox = 26Ncm

Gearbox:
Gear ratio = 26 (103/121)
Max. Permissible Torque = 3Nm
Moment Permissible Torque = 5Nm
Shaft maximum Axial load = 50N
Shaft maximum Radial load = 100N

Engineering news on Phys.org
At this point I have to admit that I am pretty much stumped.

I reviewed your application related to an SKF standard angular load ball bearing unit with a 200 mm bore diameter and the result is still about the same as your calculated value and well below you rated 5Nm torque capability with a 90kg load. They did give an alert that the minimum speed for good bearing oil lubricant distribution should be 12 rpm. I suggest you might try lubricating your bearings to see if that improves the situation; but, apart from that it would appear that you bearings should not be creating any torque friction for you; and I cannot think of any other factors, particularly at the very low 5kg load that appears to be your present limit. The only other thing I might suggest is that you run a static torque test on your NEMA 17 unit to see if it meets its published torque capability.

Earlier you said the system exists. So why not put an 80Kg weight on it and just measure the starting torque a few times? Perhaps add a factor of 2 or 3 for safety/wear. To measure the torque add a lever arm, pulley, and rope with a pan. Add weights to the pan until it moves. Disconnect the motor and gearbox for the test.

Okay, thank you I will try to see what I can do.
Thanks for all the help.

There is nothing to stop that assembly as drawn from running badly crooked . Most of the problems with getting it started in rotation probably come from getting it unstuck from a random resting position unfavourable for starting .

If you just want a turntable driven by a motor then there are far better ways of doing it . We can talk about that in detail if you wish but surely a central shaft with an arrangement of conventional bearings is what is really needed ?

A large diameter thrust bearing is unlikely to be necessary but if you must have one then just use a single ready made one ?

If you tell us what you are actually trying to do with this turntable we may between us on PF be able to suggest a nice simple solution .

Hi,
Thanks, it's just the the entire mechanism involves a few gears and things like that as well, and it's quite complex so I'd rather avoid getting into that since we haven't even figured out the simple stuff.

I think i'll try to buy a much bigger motor and see what it can do for now :)

Thanks.

At this point I am going to risk stepping way out of my realm of knowledge; but, based upon your supplied data the selected motor should be able to provide sufficient torque to easily rotate more than your 5 kg weight at your very low speed. So are you sure you have the correct driver and hookup for this motor?

Yes I'm positive. I haven't measured it, it was just an object I placed on top so it was around 5kg I think. I'll probably just order a bigger motor and test it.