Calculating change in current in a solenoid

In summary: V/s}##This is the correct value for the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the solenoid.Finally, we can solve for ##\frac{dI}{dt}## using the third equation:##\frac{dI}{dt} = \frac{\mathcal{EMF}}{M} = \frac{5.00 \times 10^{-6} \text{V/m}}{\frac{\mu_0 n \pi r^2}{2}} = \frac{5.00 \times 10^{-6} \text{V/m}}{\frac{4\pi \times 10^{-7} \text{N/A}^2 \times 400 \text
redsox133

Homework Statement

A long, thin solenoid has 400 turns per meter and a radius of 2.65 cm. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a uniform rate dI/dt, and the induced electric field at a point near the center of the solenoid and 3.25 cm from its axis is 5.00✕ 10-6 V/m. Calculate dI/dt.

Homework Equations

##B_s = u_onI##
##N\frac{d\phi}{dt}=M\frac{dI}{dt}=\mathcal{EMF}##
##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec L = \frac{dB}{dt}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for ##\frac{dB}{dt}## using the third equation. I ended up with ##E=\frac{r}{2}\frac{dB}{dt}##, and then I plugged in E and r to solve for ##\frac{dB}{dt}##. I wanted to use that to solve for ##\frac{dI}{dt}## in the second equation but I don't know what M is. After that I tried taking the derivative of the first equation to get ##\frac{dB}{dt}=u_on\frac{dI}{dt}## and then solving for ##\frac{dI}{dt}## but I got the wrong answer. If someone could let me know if I'm on the right track I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations. Let's go through them step by step.

First, in the third equation, the integral should be taken over a closed path, not just a straight line. This means that you need to take into account the radius of the solenoid and the distance from the axis in your calculation. The correct equation should be:

##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec L = \frac{\pi r^2}{2}\frac{dB}{dt}##

Next, when you plug in the given values for the electric field and the radius, you should get:

##5.00 \times 10^{-6} \text{V/m} = \frac{\pi (0.0325 \text{m})^2}{2}\frac{dB}{dt}##

Solving for ##\frac{dB}{dt}##, we get:

##\frac{dB}{dt} = \frac{5.00 \times 10^{-6} \text{V/m}}{\pi (0.0325 \text{m})^2 / 2} = 3.06 \times 10^{-3} \text{T/s}##

This is the correct value for the rate of change of the magnetic field inside the solenoid.

Now, let's move on to the second equation. The value of M is the mutual inductance between the solenoid and the induced electric field. In this case, it is equal to the self-inductance of the solenoid, which can be calculated using the first equation:

##B_s = \mu_0 n I##

Rearranging this equation, we get:

##I = \frac{B_s}{\mu_0 n}##

Substituting this value of I into the second equation, we get:

##N\frac{d\phi}{dt} = M\frac{dB}{dt} = \frac{\mu_0 n \pi r^2}{2}\frac{dB}{dt} = \frac{\mu_0 n \pi r^2}{2}\frac{5.00 \times 10^{-6} \text{T/s}}{\pi (0.0325 \text{m})^2 / 2} = 3.06 \times 10^{-3} \text

Related to Calculating change in current in a solenoid

1. How do you calculate the change in current in a solenoid?

The change in current in a solenoid can be calculated using the formula: ΔI = NΔφ/Δt, where ΔI is the change in current, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, Δφ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the change in time.

2. What is the relationship between the change in current and the change in magnetic flux in a solenoid?

The change in current in a solenoid is directly proportional to the change in magnetic flux. This means that an increase in magnetic flux will result in an increase in current, while a decrease in magnetic flux will result in a decrease in current.

3. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect the change in current?

The number of turns in a solenoid has a direct impact on the change in current. As the number of turns increases, the change in current also increases. This is because more turns in the solenoid will result in a stronger magnetic field, leading to a larger change in current.

4. Can the change in current in a solenoid be negative?

Yes, the change in current in a solenoid can be negative. This can occur when the change in magnetic flux is decreasing, causing the current in the solenoid to decrease as well.

5. What factors can affect the change in current in a solenoid?

The change in current in a solenoid can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the solenoid, the strength of the magnetic field, and the change in time. Additionally, the material of the solenoid and the presence of any external forces can also impact the change in current.