Calculating Distance from Model Rocket Photo

• Thread starter KevinMWHM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo
In summary, To calculate the distance from a model rocket photo, you will need to know the scale of the photo and the actual size of the rocket. Then, using simple math, you can use the scale to determine the actual distance the rocket traveled. The scale of the photo refers to the ratio of the size of the photo to the actual size of the rocket. The actual size of the rocket can be determined by measuring the length of the rocket in real life. You can use any unit of measurement for the scale and rocket size as long as they are consistent. The specific formula for calculating distance from a model rocket photo is: Actual Distance = (Photo Size x Actual Rocket Size) / Scale. Make sure to use the same units of measurement
KevinMWHM
Launched a model rocket with my 5 & 3 year old, have a photo of the rocket straight overhead at the approx peak. Can I figure out the distance? I know the length, and the magnification. What would the formula be?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Depends what you mean by the magnification.

But if you photograph the same object a known distance away and note how many pixels it is on the image then you can work out the distance to the rocket by just comparing the number of pixel on your photo.

So distance rocket = known distance * unknown size/known size

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Distance from Model Rocket Photo

1. How do you calculate the distance from a model rocket photo?

To calculate the distance from a model rocket photo, you will need to know the scale of the photo and the actual size of the rocket. Then, using simple math, you can use the scale to determine the actual distance the rocket traveled.

2. What is the scale of the photo?

The scale of the photo refers to the ratio of the size of the photo to the actual size of the rocket. For example, if the photo is 1 inch in size and the rocket is 12 inches in actual size, the scale would be 1:12.

3. How do I determine the actual size of the rocket?

The actual size of the rocket can be determined by measuring the length of the rocket in real life. This can be done using a ruler or tape measure.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for the scale and rocket size?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as they are consistent. For example, if the scale is 1:12, the rocket size should also be measured in inches.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating distance from a model rocket photo?

Yes, the formula is: Actual Distance = (Photo Size x Actual Rocket Size) / Scale. Make sure to use the same units of measurement for all variables in the formula.