Calculating elapsed time in different frames

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proper time and how it is measured in different frames of reference. The stick is not considered a proper frame because it is spatially separated from the events, while the person is considered a proper frame because they measure the events occurring at the same position. The proper time interval between two events is calculated using the formula Tme = T/γ.
Abhishek11235
Homework Statement
Consider the following problem. A stick passes with speed v though a breadthless person whose(the stick) proper length is L. How does:

Stick See the time elapsed on my clock?

I see time elapsed on my clock?

The second part is easy. In my frame ,the stick is length contracted. So the time elapsed is ## T_{my}= L/\gamma v##

Now the first part. The stick measures the time L/v for the person to pass from one end of stick to another. The stick measures proper time of L/v. Hence he should see the time elapsed on my clock to be
##T_{me}= \gamma T= \gamma L/v##

However if I calculate using Lorentz transformation, I get same answer as in a. Where is flaw in my reasoning of 2? Thanks in advance
Relevant Equations
##T= \gamma T'##
The attempt is above

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the stick measure proper time?

In general, how do you decide which frame measures the proper time interval between two events?

TSny said:
Does the stick measure proper time?

In general, how do you decide which frame measures the proper time interval between two events?
If the 2 events occur are measured at same position ,it is proper frame. I think I got idea. Please correct me if I am wrong. In the frame of stick,the events(when the ends come and then pass through person) are spatially separated(by length L),the stick can't constitute proper frame. It is the person who is proper frame(he measures events occurring at same position). Hence the time should be ##T_{me}=T/\gamma##. Is it right?

Yes. Good.

Likes Abhishek11235

Related to Calculating elapsed time in different frames

1. How do you define elapsed time in different frames?

Elapsed time in different frames refers to the difference in time between two events as observed by observers in different frames of reference. It takes into account the relative motion and the time dilation effects between the two frames.

2. What is the formula for calculating elapsed time in different frames?

The formula for calculating elapsed time in different frames is t' = t / √(1-v²/c²), where t' is the elapsed time in the moving frame, t is the elapsed time in the stationary frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light.

3. Can elapsed time in different frames be negative?

No, elapsed time in different frames cannot be negative. It is a measure of the duration between two events and will always be a positive value.

4. How does time dilation affect the calculation of elapsed time in different frames?

Time dilation, a consequence of the theory of relativity, causes time to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This means that for observers in different frames, the elapsed time will be different due to the difference in relative velocities and time dilation effects.

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating elapsed time in different frames?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of calculating elapsed time in different frames, such as in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and space travel. It is also an essential concept in the study of relativity and has implications in various fields of science.