Calculating Energy of an inlet gas stream; 2 conflicting methods

In summary, the individual is trying to calculate the energy of an inlet gas stream using equations for heat transfer and lookup data for specific heat capacities of oxygen and nitrogen. They are unsure of which equation to use and are wondering if they are calculating the internal energy of the gas. It is important to note that the energy of a gas stream is not a state variable and the specific heat capacity of the gas mixture should be used in calculations. The internal energy of the gas is a measure of the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of its molecules.
parislad

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the energy of an inlet gas stream (I will add heat later but need to know the rate at which energy is coming into the system [J/s]).

The fluid is air and I can decompose it into molar flow rates of the constituent gases. I now need to use lookups to find the energy of each constituent gas.

I believe what I'm after here is a state variable because its based on the ambient condition and not any process that happened beforehand.

Homework Equations

I can think of 2 equations here:
Q = m_dot * Cp * T
Q = m_dot * H
(where H = enthalpy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found some lookup data for values of H and Cp of oxygen and nitrogen. However the 2 equations give different plots; when I plot T vs H and T vs (Cp * T) the plots are similar but significantly different.

I'm not sure why they are different or which one I should use. Also, is what I'm trying to calculate defined as the internal energy of the gas?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you are on the right track with using the equations for heat transfer (Q = m_dot * Cp * T and Q = m_dot * H). However, I would like to clarify a few things to help you with your calculations.

First, it is important to note that the energy of a gas stream is not a state variable, as it is dependent on the flow rate and temperature of the gas. A state variable, on the other hand, is a property of a system that is independent of its history or how it was created. Examples of state variables include pressure, temperature, and volume.

Secondly, when calculating the energy of a gas stream, it is important to consider the specific heat capacity (Cp) of the gas mixture, rather than just the individual gases. This is because the specific heat capacity of a gas mixture is not simply the sum of the individual gas specific heat capacities, but is affected by the composition of the mixture. You can use lookup tables or equations to calculate the specific heat capacity of air at different temperatures and compositions.

Finally, to answer your question about whether you are calculating the internal energy of the gas, the answer is yes. The internal energy of a gas is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of its molecules, and is a measure of the internal energy of the gas stream.

I hope this helps clarify some things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance with your calculations. Best of luck!

Related to Calculating Energy of an inlet gas stream; 2 conflicting methods

1. What are the two conflicting methods for calculating energy of an inlet gas stream?

The two conflicting methods for calculating energy of an inlet gas stream are the ideal gas law and the real gas law. The ideal gas law assumes that gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other, while the real gas law takes into account the volume and interactions of gas molecules.

2. Which method is more accurate for calculating energy of an inlet gas stream?

The real gas law is generally more accurate for calculating energy of an inlet gas stream, as it takes into account the real-world behavior of gas molecules. However, the ideal gas law can still provide a good estimate in certain situations, such as when the gas is at low pressure and high temperature.

3. How do I determine which method to use for my specific calculation?

The method you should use for calculating energy of an inlet gas stream depends on the specific conditions of your system. If the gas is at high pressure or low temperature, the real gas law is likely the better choice. If the gas is at low pressure and high temperature, the ideal gas law may be sufficient. It is always best to consult with a thermodynamics expert or refer to a thermodynamics textbook for guidance.

4. Can I use both methods and compare the results?

Yes, you can use both methods and compare the results for validation purposes. If the results from the two methods are significantly different, it may indicate that your gas is behaving in a non-ideal manner and the real gas law should be used for more accurate calculations.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the accuracy of calculating energy of an inlet gas stream?

Yes, there are other factors that could affect the accuracy of calculating energy of an inlet gas stream. These include the composition of the gas (different gases have different properties), the presence of impurities or contaminants in the gas, and the accuracy of the experimental measurements used in the calculation. It is important to consider and account for these factors in order to obtain the most accurate results.