Calculating Φ - Wrong Answer Found

In summary, The conversation discusses the calculation of <+|Φ> with a result of (1-√2i)/4√2 + (3-2i)/4√2. However, it is mentioned that the state is not normalized, so the probability cannot be computed. It is suggested that there may be a typo in the calculation, and questions are posed about how the result was computed and squared. After realizing that the complex numbers were not added together before squaring, the correct answer was found to be (5-2√2)/16.
gremio594
Homework Statement
The state

|ϕ⟩=(1−2√i)/4|0⟩−(3−2i)/4|1⟩
is measured in the Hadamard basis |+⟩, |−⟩. What is the probability to obtain |+⟩ as measurement result?
Relevant Equations
Pψ(v) = |<v|ψ>|^2
I calculated <+|Φ> to be (1-√2i)/4√2 + (3-2i)/4√2. When I squared this I for 16/32 but this is no the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, this state is not normalized, so you cannot compute the probability as ##\left|\left<+\right|\left.\phi\right>\right|^2##.
I think probably you have a typo and the term ##2\sqrt{i}## should be ##i\sqrt{2}##, then the state is normalized. But two questions:
1. How did you compute ##\left<+\right|\left.\phi\right>##?
2. How did you square this complex number?

Last edited:
Gaussian97 said:
First of all, this state is not normalized, so you cannot compute the probability as ##\left|\left<+\right|\left.\phi\right>\right|^2##.
I think probably you have a typo and the term ##2\sqrt{i}## should be ##i\sqrt{2}##, then the state is normalized. But two questions:
1. How did you compute ##\left<+\right|\left.\phi\right>##?
2. How did you square this complex number?

I was not adding the complex numbers together before trying to square them. After doing that I was able to get the right answer

What answer did you get finally?

Gaussian97 said:
What answer did you get finally?
I think it was (5-2√2)/16

Ok, perfect

Related to Calculating Φ - Wrong Answer Found

1. What is Φ and why is it important in calculations?

Φ, also known as the golden ratio, is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 1.618. It is important in calculations because it appears frequently in nature, art, and design, and has been studied for centuries by mathematicians and scientists.

2. How is Φ calculated?

Φ can be calculated using the formula (1 + √5) / 2. This is known as the quadratic equation for the golden ratio. It can also be approximated by dividing two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci sequence, such as 21/13 or 89/55.

3. What is the significance of finding a wrong answer when calculating Φ?

Finding a wrong answer when calculating Φ can be a sign of a mistake in the calculation or the use of incorrect values. It is important to double-check the calculation and make sure all values are accurate to get the correct result.

4. Can Φ be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Φ has been used in various real-world applications, such as architecture, art, and design. It has also been studied in fields such as biology, physics, and finance. Φ can be used to create aesthetically pleasing designs and patterns, as well as to understand and analyze natural phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to using Φ in calculations?

While Φ has many interesting properties and applications, it is important to note that it is an irrational number and cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. This can make calculations involving Φ more complex and may require approximations or rounding.