Calculating free-fall acceleration of other planets

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the free-fall acceleration on the surface of planet Roton, given the orbital radius, satellite speed, and radius of Roton. After some incorrect attempts, it is determined that the correct formula to use is a = GM/r^2, with R as the orbital radius and r as the radius of Roton. The mass of Roton can be calculated using the formula M= Ve^2*R/G, but it is not necessary as it cancels out in the final calculation. The correct answer is 27 m/s^2.
menglish20

Homework Statement

Here is the text of the question:
"A satellite circles planet Roton every 2.8 h in an orbit having a radius of 1.2 X 10^7 m. If the radius of Roton is 5.0 X 10^6 m, what is the magnitude of the free-fall acceleration on the surface of Roton?"

Homework Equations

v=d/t

M= [(Ve)^2*R]/(2G)

a=GM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is presented as multiple choice, and I've been able to find the answer as 27 m/s^2 but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

What I tried to do is find the mass of Roton using the orbit speed.
I took the distance traveled by the satellite, 2*pi*1.2e7, and diving it by the time of one complete orbit, 2.8 hr or 10080 s. I calculated this velocity as 7479.98 m/s.

To find mass, I used the second formula I listed, and used the radius of Roton as R. I'm not sure if this is correct. I used this mass in the third formula, using the sum of Roton's radius plus the orbit radius. I think this may also be incorrect. I got an answer that was significantly different than the multiple choice answers provided. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find mass, I used the second formula I listed, and used the radius of Roton as R. I'm not sure if this is correct.
No, it's not correct. The orbital radius should have been used as R.
I used this mass in the third formula, using the sum of Roton's radius plus the orbit radius. I think this may also be incorrect.
Indeed. You should have used just Roton's radius.

If you know the velocity and the orbit radius you can find the acceleration, no need for mass

Zula110100100 said:
If you know the velocity and the orbit radius you can find the acceleration, no need for mass

I had a guess that mass isn't needed but I couldn't figure out a way to calculate acceleration without it. Am I overthinking this? Given velocity and orbit radius, could you use:

Fc= m*ac, so ac=v2/r ?

If so, this is way easier than I thought.

Edit: I don't think this is correct. First, I don't even know if that equation is true, and if so, the ac would not be the free-fall acceleration, but the centripetal acceleration that maintains the satellite in a circular path.

Edit 2: I've figured it out! You do indeed need mass. Calculate it using v=sqrt(GM/R). Then use the mass in the formula a=GM/R^2. The R in the first equation is the orbital radius and the R in the second is the radius of Roton. This may have been what Barakn was explaining but I was using the wrong formula for calculating the mass. Thanks for the help, Barakn and Zula!

Last edited:
You can calculate the mass, but it's not necessary. We know that M= Ve2*R/G (you typed out the formula wrong) and a = GM/r2. Substitute M into the second equation to get a = G * Ve2*R/(r2*G) = Ve2*R/r2. Everything performed in one calculation in which G and M have magically disappeared.

Related to Calculating free-fall acceleration of other planets

What is free-fall acceleration?

Free-fall acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object when it is falling freely due to the force of gravity. On Earth, this acceleration is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How do you calculate the free-fall acceleration of other planets?

The formula for calculating free-fall acceleration is a = GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the object to the center of the planet. The value of G remains constant, while the values of M and r will vary depending on the specific planet being calculated for.

How does the free-fall acceleration differ on other planets?

The free-fall acceleration on other planets will differ based on the mass and size of the planet. For example, the free-fall acceleration on the surface of Mars is approximately 3.7 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s^2.

Can the free-fall acceleration of a planet change?

Yes, the free-fall acceleration of a planet can change if there is a change in the mass or size of the planet. For example, if a planet gains or loses mass, its free-fall acceleration will also change.

Why is it important to calculate the free-fall acceleration of other planets?

Calculating the free-fall acceleration of other planets allows us to understand the gravitational pull and dynamics of these planets. It also helps in determining the feasibility of human or robotic exploration on these planets, as well as understanding the effects of gravity on objects and organisms in these environments.