Calculating Left Hand Limit: ##\sqrt 6##

• Thread starter MatinSAR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the left hand limit for the function \frac{\sqrt{9-x^2} } {\sqrt x+\sqrt{3-x}-\sqrt3} is \sqrt 6.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Find the following limits.
Relevant Equations
Please see below...
##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3} {\frac { \sqrt {9-x^2} } {\sqrt x+\sqrt{3-x}-\sqrt3 }}##

I wanted to calculate left hand limit.
I find out that the answer is ##\sqrt 6## using GeoGebra.

What I have done:
I divided the numerator and denominator by ##\sqrt {3-x}##.

##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} {\frac { \sqrt {3+x} } {\sqrt {\frac {x} {3-x}}+1-\sqrt {\frac {3} {3-x}} }}=\frac {\sqrt 6} {\infty + 1 -\infty}=\sqrt 6##
I'm not sure If my method is right mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
The given formula equals
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 3} \frac{\sqrt{3-x}\sqrt{3+x}}{\sqrt{3-x}}=\sqrt{6}[/tex]
which is as same as yours. However, ##\infty-\infty## in your calculation is not good to use in general.

Likes FactChecker and MatinSAR
anuttarasammyak said:
The given formula equals
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 3} \frac{\sqrt{3-x}\sqrt{3+x}}{\sqrt{3-x}}=\sqrt{6}[/tex]
I got the same result.
Thank you for your reply. Final answer is true. We can find it using L'Hôpital's rule or using graphs.
I am not sure if my answer is right mathematically.

I am not sure if this part is correct:
##\frac {\sqrt 6} {\infty + 1 -\infty}=\sqrt 6##
And finally i'm not sure if ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} {\frac {\sqrt {3+x}} 1}=\sqrt 6##.

MatinSAR said:
##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} {\frac { \sqrt {3+x} } {\sqrt {\frac {x} {3-x}}+1-\sqrt {\frac {3} {3-x}} }}=\frac {\sqrt 6} {\infty + 1 -\infty}=\sqrt 6##
I'm not sure If my method is right mathematically.
It's not right at all. If ##f(x) \rightarrow \infty## and ##g(x) \rightarrow \infty##, then ##f(x) - g(x) \rightarrow## could be anything.

What is correct in this case is to show separately that:
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-}\bigg ( \sqrt {\frac {x} {3-x}}-\sqrt {\frac {3} {3-x}}\bigg ) = 0$$

Likes FactChecker and MatinSAR
PeroK said:
It's not right at all. If ##f(x) \rightarrow \infty## and ##g(x) \rightarrow \infty##, then ##f(x) - g(x) \rightarrow## could be anything.

What is correct in this case is to show separately that:
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-}\bigg ( \sqrt {\frac {x} {3-x}}-\sqrt {\frac {3} {3-x}}\bigg ) = 0$$
So, If I prove that limit is zero then my answer is right, isn't it?

MatinSAR said:
So, If I prove that the mentioned limit is zero then my answer is right, isn't it?
Yes. By calculating that limit, you see that both the numerator and denominator are well-defined at the limit point and the solution follows.

Let me show you a general idea in these cases. You have a quotient where the limit of the numerator is well defined and the limit of the denominator has an indeterminate form (in this case ##\infty - \infty##).

If you calculate separately the limit of that indeterminate form, then (because the limit of the numerator and denominator both exist - this is an important point) you can combine them. In general:

If ##\lim f(x)## and ##\lim g(x)## both exist, then ##\lim \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## exists and
$$lim \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{\lim f(x)}{\lim g(x)}$$

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Yes. By calculating that limit, you see that both the numerator and denominator are well-defined at the limit point and the solution follows.

Let me show you a general idea in these cases. You have a quotient where the limit of the numerator is well defined and the limit of the denominator has an indeterminate form (in this case ##\infty - \infty##).

If you calculate separately the limit of that indeterminate form, then (because the limit of the numerator and denominator both exist - this is an important point) you can combine them. In general:

If ##\lim f(x)## and ##\lim g(x)## both exist, then ##\lim \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}## exists and
$$lim \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \frac{\lim f(x)}{\lim g(x)}$$
Using your detailed guide, I have edited my answer. I hope it is right mathematically now...
1676714189434.png

Addendum to my previous post :
The given formula is
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 3-0} \frac{\sqrt{3-x}\sqrt{3+x}}{\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{3}}+\sqrt{3-x}}[/tex]
In the divider, the first term goes to zero with higher order than the second one so taking the limit we can disregard the first term to be zero.
I interpret that the limit as ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3-0}## so that the relevant function is real.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
anuttarasammyak said:
Addendum to my previous post :
The given formula is
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 3-0} \frac{\sqrt{3-x}\sqrt{3+x}}{\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{3}}+\sqrt{3-x}}[/tex]
In the divider, the first term goes to zero with higher order than the second one so taking the limit we can disregard the first term to be zeo.
I interpret that the limit as ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3-0}## so that the relevant function is real.
A clever idea. Thank you. I didn't undestand what's this one:
1676717242190.png

MatinSAR said:
Using your detailed guide, I have edited my answer. I hope it is right mathematically now...

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3-x}}=\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{3-x}(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{3})}=-\frac{\sqrt{3-x}}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{3}} \rightarrow 0[/tex]

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
A clever idea. Thank you. I didn't undestand what's this one:
x is approaching to 3 from smaller side, e.g.
2.9, 2.99, 2.999, 2.999,...
Otherwise ##\sqrt{3-x}## would become imaginary.

Likes MatinSAR
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3-x}}=\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{3-x}(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{3})}=-\frac{\sqrt{3-x}}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{3}} \rightarrow 0[/tex]
I understand. I've used L'Hôpital's rule but you have used ##a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)##.
So do you agree with my final answer?

They coincide of cource and you are released from subtraction of infinities.

Likes MatinSAR
anuttarasammyak said:
They coincide of cource and you are released from subtraction of infinities.
Thank you for your help and time.

Likes anuttarasammyak
@PeroK Thanks for your replies.

anuttarasammyak said:
However, ∞−∞ in your calculation is not good to use in general.
In fact, ##[\infty - \infty]## is one of several indeterminate forms, as already mentioned.
PeroK said:
It's not right at all. If f(x)→∞ and g(x)→∞, then f(x)−g(x)→ could be anything.
Here are some examples that elaborate the point that @PeroK is making.

##\lim_{x \to \infty} x - x^2 = -\infty##
##\lim_{x \to \infty} x^3 - x^2 = \infty##
##\lim_{x \to \infty} (x + 2)^2 - (x^2 + 4x) = 4##

In each case, the expression we're taking the limit of is the indeterminate form ##[\infty - \infty]##, but all three limits can be determined and all are different.

Likes MatinSAR, FactChecker and PeroK
Here's another way to solve the problem. Multiplying by a conjugate works in instances like this. Because ##(\sqrt x - \sqrt 3)(\sqrt x + \sqrt 3) = x-3##, we can end up with a factor of ##\sqrt{3-x}## into every term so they will cancel out:
\begin{align*}\
\lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac { \sqrt {9-x^2} } {\sqrt x+\sqrt{3-x}-\sqrt3 }
&= \lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac { \sqrt {(3-x)(3+x)} } {\sqrt{3-x}-(\sqrt3-\sqrt x) } \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{x}} \\
&= \lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac {(\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x}) \sqrt {(3-x)(3+x)}}{(\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x})\sqrt{3-x} -(3-x)} \\
&= \lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac {(\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x}) \sqrt {3+x}}{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{3-x}}
\end{align*} Now there's no indeterminate form when you set ##x=3## so no need to use the Hospital rule to evaluate the limit. (Also, if you're allowed to use the Hospital rule, why not just use it right at the start?)

Likes MatinSAR and FactChecker
Mark44 said:
In fact, ##[\infty - \infty]## is one of several indeterminate forms, as already mentioned.

Here are some examples that elaborate the point that @PeroK is making.

##\lim_{x \to \infty} x - x^2 = -\infty##
##\lim_{x \to \infty} x^3 - x^2 = \infty##
##\lim_{x \to \infty} (x + 2)^2 - (x^2 + 4x) = 4##

In each case, the expression we're taking the limit of is the indeterminate form ##[\infty - \infty]##, but all three limits can be determined and all are different.
Yes. I have forgotten that ##\infty - \infty## is one of the indeterminate forms ...
Thank you for your reply.
vela said:
Here's another way to solve the problem. Multiplying by a conjugate works in instances like this. Because ##(\sqrt x - \sqrt 3)(\sqrt x + \sqrt 3) = x-3##, we can end up with a factor of ##\sqrt{3-x}## into every term so they will cancel out:
\begin{align*}\
\lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac { \sqrt {9-x^2} } {\sqrt x+\sqrt{3-x}-\sqrt3 }
&= \lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac { \sqrt {(3-x)(3+x)} } {\sqrt{3-x}-(\sqrt3-\sqrt x) } \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{x}} \\
&= \lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac {(\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x}) \sqrt {(3-x)(3+x)}}{(\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x})\sqrt{3-x} -(3-x)} \\
&= \lim_{x \rightarrow 3^-} \frac {(\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x}) \sqrt {3+x}}{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{3-x}}
\end{align*} Now there's no indeterminate form when you set ##x=3## so no need to use the Hospital rule to evaluate the limit. (Also, if you're allowed to use the Hospital rule, why not just use it right at the start?)
Thank you! I was trying to solve this without Hospital rule.