Calculating Orbital Velocities in a Binary Star System

In summary, the period of rotation of two unequal masses in a binary star system about their center of mass is equal. This is due to the fact that the center of mass cannot move and the line between the two bodies must always pass through it. This means that the two bodies will have the same orbital period. To determine the period of orbit for the two bodies, you can use the general version of Kepler's 3rd law or calculate it in another way. This can be done by considering the reduced mass of the system and using the formula for radial acceleration and orbital velocities. The radial acceleration experienced by the two bodies towards each other and the center of mass can be calculated using the reduced mass, while the orbital velocities can be calculated using
theneedtoknow
I just have a quick question about a binary star system consisting of 2 starts of unequal masses. Is the period of rotation of the 2 masses about their centre of mass equal? Do they both take the same amount of time to complete 1 revolution about the centre of mass?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yup. The two-body system's center of mass cannot move because there are no external forces, so the line between the two bodies must always pass through the center of mass. Imagine a bar connecting the two bodies; the bar's rotating, expanding, and contracting, but not bending or moving. You can imagine that the two bodies will have the same orbital period.

Thanks! :) That makes sense.
So how do I determine this period of orbit of the 2 bodies around the centre of mass? What if, for example, I was considering a planet orbiting around a star. Would I use the general version of Kepler's 3rd law? [ P^2 = (4pi^2*a^3)/ (G(m1 + m2)) ] with a being the average distance between the 2 bodies (since, as you said, this distance will contract and expand as they orbit) (I'll assume circular orbits for simplicity)? Or would I calculate the period in some other way?

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_mass"

Last edited by a moderator:
So , the radial acceleration the 2 bodies would experience towards each other (and therefore toward the centre of mass) is F/mreduced = G*m1*m1/(distance between objects)^2 /mreduced ?
and the radial acceleration (assuming circular orbit) is equal to v^2 / (distance of body to centre of mass), so I can calculate the orbital velocities of the 2 bodies as:

velocity = square root [ (G*m1*m1/(distance between objects)^2 ) * (distance of body to centre of mass)/(mreduced) ]

is this correct?

Related to Calculating Orbital Velocities in a Binary Star System

1. What is 2-body gravity?

2-body gravity is a simplified model of gravity that considers the gravitational interaction between two bodies, such as the Earth and the Moon.

2. How is 2-body gravity different from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

2-body gravity is a simplified version of Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which takes into account the gravitational pull of multiple bodies. In 2-body gravity, the two bodies are the only ones considered, whereas in Newton's Law, the gravitational pull of all objects in the universe is taken into account.

3. What are the key factors that affect 2-body gravity?

The key factors that affect 2-body gravity are the masses of the two bodies and the distance between them. The greater the masses and the closer the distance between the two bodies, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

4. How does the distance between the two bodies affect 2-body gravity?

The distance between the two bodies directly affects the strength of the gravitational force between them. As the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the inverse-square law.

5. Can 2-body gravity accurately predict the motion of objects in the real world?

No, 2-body gravity is a simplified model and does not account for all the factors that affect the motion of objects in the real world. It can provide a good approximation in certain scenarios, but it is not entirely accurate.