Calculating Resistance & Reactance of Load with PF 0.866 and 200V, 5A

In summary, to calculate the equivalent series reactance and resistance of a load with a power factor of 0.866 lagging, where the voltage is 200v and the current is 5A, you can use the formula cos(theta) = resistance / impedance = 0.866 and voltage = current * impedance, to find the total impedance of 40 ohm. Then, using the trigonometric relationship between the cosine and sine of an angle, you can calculate the reactance as sin(theta) * impedance, which gives a value of 20 ohm. Therefore, the equivalent series resistance is 20 ohm and the equivalent series reactance is also 20 ohm.
tofushop193

Homework Statement

the power factor of a load is 0.866 lagging.the voltage is 200v and the current is 5A.caculate the equivalent series reactance and resistance of the load.

Homework Equations

cos.theta = power factor = resistance / impedence= 0.866
volt = ampere / impendence

The Attempt at a Solution

trying but still stuck at this question..can someone help me
btw i am new here if i did anything wrong please guide me...thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
tofushop193 said:

Homework Statement

the power factor of a load is 0.866 lagging.the voltage is 200v and the current is 5A.caculate the equivalent series reactance and resistance of the load.

Homework Equations

cos.theta = power factor = resistance / impedence= 0.866
volt = ampere / impendence

The Attempt at a Solution

trying but still stuck at this question..can someone help me
btw i am new here if i did anything wrong please guide me...thanks guys

First of all: Voltage = Current * Impedance (not /)
You know the voltage and the current. What is the total impedance?
The resistance and the inductive impedance form the sides of a right triangle, whose hypotenuse is the total impedance.

sorry about the wrong equiation given but i tried
200v=5A * impendence
so impendence = 200/5
= 40 ohm
but the answer given by my teacher is 20 ohm
is he wrong?
does equivalent series reactance means impendence??

[tex]\tilde{}[/tex]I think you are mixing terms.

Impedance is the name given to the whole complex number, defined by [tex]Z=\frac{\tilde{V}}{\tilde{I}}=R+jX[/tex] (tilde denotes phasors, hence both amplitudes and phases)

While reactance is defined as only the imaginary part of Z: X.

Also the power factor will be [tex]cos(\theta}=\frac{R}{|Z|}=\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^{2}+X^{2}}[/tex]
(You got it almost right actually, I just want you to distinguish the impedance, which encodes amplitude and phase, from only the amplitude of the impedance)

hmm so how do i get the 20 ohm that my teacher did?

tofushop193 said:
hmm so how do i get the 20 ohm that my teacher did?
The reactance is one of the sides of the triangle. You already know the hypotenuse (40 ohm) and the cosine of the angle between the hypotenuse and the side representing the resistance (0.866).
You can calculate both sides.

so i take sine30*40 to get the 20 ohms?

tofushop193 said:
so i take sine30*40 to get the 20 ohms?
Exactly!

Related to Calculating Resistance & Reactance of Load with PF 0.866 and 200V, 5A

1. How do I calculate the resistance of a load with a power factor of 0.866?

To calculate the resistance of a load with a power factor of 0.866, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current. In this case, plug in the values of V = 200V and I = 5A to get the resistance of the load.

2. How do I calculate the reactance of a load with a power factor of 0.866?

The reactance of a load with a power factor of 0.866 can be calculated using the formula X = R * tanθ, where X is reactance, R is resistance, and θ is the angle of the power factor. In this case, plug in the value of R calculated in the previous step and the angle of 30 degrees (arccos 0.866) to get the reactance.

3. What is the relationship between power factor and resistance in a load?

The power factor and resistance in a load have an inverse relationship. This means that as the power factor decreases, the resistance increases and vice versa. A load with a power factor of 1 (unity power factor) would have no resistance, while a load with a power factor of 0 (zero power factor) would have infinite resistance.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate resistance and reactance for a load with a different power factor?

Yes, you can use the same formulas to calculate resistance and reactance for a load with a different power factor. However, you will need to adjust the values of the power factor and angle (θ) in the formulas accordingly.

5. How does the power factor affect the performance of an electrical system?

The power factor is an indicator of how efficiently an electrical system is using the supplied power. A lower power factor means that the system is using more reactive power, which can lead to higher energy costs and potential damage to equipment. Therefore, maintaining a high power factor is important for the efficient and safe operation of an electrical system.