Calculating Temperature Change from 20°C to -20°C: Homework Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in temperature of a steel rod and its effects on stress and strain. It is determined that the temperature change is -40 degrees and the stress in the rod would increase to keep it the same length. The equation ##\sigma=E(\epsilon-\alpha \Delta T)## is mentioned and it is noted that the steel rod was initially stretched and its strain remained positive.
chetzread

Homework Statement

in this question , it's not stated that whether the temperature change from 20°C to -20°C or -20°C to 20°C .
I'm confused...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be changing from 20°C to -20°C so delta T = (-20-20) = -40°C , am i right ?

Attachments

• 340.jpg
    340.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 319
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:
I think it should be changing from 20°C to -20°C so delta T = (-20-20) = -40°C , am i right ?

the limiting stress is given at -20 degree so if you use it one will have to go to that temp. therefore the temp change is of 40 degrees.

drvrm said:
the limiting stress is given at -20 degree so if you use it one will have to go to that temp. therefore the temp change is of 40 degrees.
do you mean the temperature goes from -20 to 20 ? if so , the temperature change is -40°C , am i right ?

chetzread said:
do you mean the temperature goes from -20 to 20 ? if so , the temperature change is -40°C , am i right ?

The rod was kept at 20 degrees and from there it has been moved to -20 degrees so the change in temperature is in two parts +20 to zero and zero to -20 degrees so the total change is of 40 degrees (change in temperature is a number the negative and positive signs of a temp. only shows its position on a scale...

.in both the parts of the above change the stress is increasing and going to add up to the limit... given .

If you wish to say it that change is -40 degrees and put the negative sign in your relation for the limiting stress one will make an error as it will denote a reduction...which may not be the the physical situation!

Yes, you are right, the temperature change is -40 degrees. Would that tend to make the rod shorter if it were free to contract? So, to keep the rod the same length, would the stress in the rod have to increase or decrease?

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
Yes, you are right, the temperature change is -40 degrees. Would that tend to make the rod shorter if it were free to contract? So, to keep the rod the same length, would the stress in the rod have to increase or decrease?
The rod shorter if it were free to contract , stress in the rod have to increase to keep the rod same length

So, from our famous equation ##\sigma=E(\epsilon-\alpha \Delta T)##, if ##\epsilon = 5000/(AE)## and ##\Delta T = -40##, what do you get for ##\sigma.##?

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
So, from our famous equation ##\sigma=E(\epsilon-\alpha \Delta T)##, if ##\epsilon = 5000/(AE)## and ##\Delta T = -40##, what do you get for ##\sigma.##?
ok , solved

Chestermiller said:
i don't really understand , how could the εs = positive ?
the εs = strain ?
so , the steel rod contract , εs = negative ?

chetzread said:
i don't really understand , how could the εs = positive ?
the εs = strain ?
so , the steel rod contract , εs = negative ?
The steel rod was stretched initially and then, when it was cooled, it was not allowed to contract. So its strain remained positive.

Likes chetzread

Related to Calculating Temperature Change from 20°C to -20°C: Homework Question

1. How do you calculate temperature change from 20°C to -20°C?

To calculate temperature change, subtract the initial temperature (20°C) from the final temperature (-20°C). In this case, the temperature change would be -40°C.

2. What unit of measurement is used to express temperature?

The most commonly used unit of measurement for temperature is degrees Celsius (°C), but other units such as Fahrenheit (°F) and Kelvin (K) are also used.

3. What is the formula for converting between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting from degrees Celsius to degrees Fahrenheit is F = (C * 9/5) + 32, where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in Celsius. To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, the formula is C = (F - 32) * 5/9.

4. How does temperature change affect matter?

Temperature change can affect matter in various ways. For example, when the temperature increases, the particles in matter gain energy and move faster, causing the matter to expand or change state. On the other hand, when the temperature decreases, the particles slow down and the matter may contract or solidify.

5. Why is it important to calculate temperature change accurately?

Calculating temperature change accurately is important in many scientific fields, such as meteorology, chemistry, and physics. It allows us to understand how different substances and materials behave under different temperature conditions and to make accurate predictions and calculations for various processes and reactions.